Matched Asymptotic ODE Solution for ##\epsilon d_x(xd_xf)-xf=0##

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific ODE using matched asymptotic expansions. The first equation in the ODE yields f_0=0, but the speaker is stuck and needs help finding an appropriate substitution. They mention using x=(1-y)/g(epsilon) and weighting g to balance terms, but are unsure of when to do this transformation. They discuss transforming the inner and outer parts, and question why they should only transform one. They ask for suggestions on how to proceed.
member 428835

Homework Statement

Solve to order ##\epsilon## $$\epsilon d_x(xd_xf)-xf=0$$ subject to ##|f(0)|<\infty## and ##f(1)=1## via matched asymptotic expansions.

Homework Equations

Nothing comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

Perform a matched asymptotic analysis. In this case when I take a series expansion $$f = \sum \epsilon^nf_n$$ the governing ODE yields the following two weighted equations $$xf_0=0\\
d_xf_0 - xf_1 + xd^2_x f_0=0.
$$
Notice the first equation implies ##f_0=0##. This is where I am stuck. Any help?

For the inner part I believe an appropriate substitution is ##x=(1-y)/g(\epsilon)##, but I thought this change of coordinates was typically introduced after first making an expansion and solving for the outer part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should this really read ##d_f## in your formula?

Likes member 428835
Thanks, just fixed that!

One problem is that you never know whether a simple power series in epsilon is appropriate. E.g. you could transform ##y=x/\epsilon## or ##y=x/\epsilon^{1/3}##.

DrDu said:
One problem is that you never know whether a simple power series in epsilon is appropriate. E.g. you could transform ##y=x/\epsilon## or ##y=x/\epsilon^{1/3}##.
It's a little unclear to me, but what are you suggesting? Typically I would guess ##x=(1-y)/g(\epsilon)## and weight ##g## to balance any two terms I'd like, so something like ##g=\epsilon^n##. However, I would only do this after computing the outer part, which as I showed in post 1, isn't giving good results ##f_0=f_1=0##.

Any ideas?

So what is the inner and what the outer part, and what distinguishes the two that you would only transform one of them?

DrDu said:
So what is the inner and what the outer part, and what distinguishes the two that you would only transform one of them?
That's interesting. I suppose I'm not sure why I don't transform both. Have anything in mind?

1. What is a matched asymptotic ODE solution?

A matched asymptotic ODE solution is a method for solving differential equations that have a boundary layer or rapidly changing behavior in a specific region. It involves finding two separate solutions - one for the outer region and one for the inner region - and then matching them together at the boundary to create an overall solution for the entire problem.

2. How does the ##\epsilon## parameter affect the solution?

The ##\epsilon## parameter is a small parameter that is used to represent the size of the boundary layer or rapidly changing region in the differential equation. As ##\epsilon## gets smaller, the boundary layer becomes thinner and the solution becomes more accurate. Conversely, as ##\epsilon## gets larger, the boundary layer becomes thicker and the solution becomes less accurate.

3. What is the significance of the term ##d_x(xd_xf)## in the differential equation?

The term ##d_x(xd_xf)## represents the second derivative of the function ##f## with respect to the variable ##x##. This term is important because it captures the curvature of the function and is often the cause of the boundary layer behavior in the differential equation.

4. Can the matched asymptotic ODE solution be applied to any type of differential equation?

No, the matched asymptotic ODE solution is specifically designed for differential equations that have a boundary layer or rapidly changing behavior in a specific region. It is not applicable to all types of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the matched asymptotic ODE solution?

One limitation of the matched asymptotic ODE solution is that it can be difficult to find an appropriate inner solution that accurately captures the behavior of the problem in the boundary layer. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for strongly nonlinear differential equations.