At what age you complete your phD?

• Thread starter Twukwuw
  • Start date
what does it matter if there are smarter people out there? why should we resent them? this is a sign of insecurity. work on it.
Agreed, I'm happy there are people smarter than me, if there weren't this world would be facing a major crisis. Just a qucik unrelated question, but still on the topic of PhDs, firstly do they usually have to be very specific as you have to find something nobody else has done? Also does your research belong to the university you are working at?

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
35....but I took time between my masters and going back. I also worked 5 years full-time while working on my degree.

Why did you post in a two year old thread?

One of my friend has completed his phd in biotechnology at the age of 32 , i know its very late to finish but he told me that the results were very slow to achieve.

As I have calculated, I would have completed my phD right at the age of 28, is it too LATE?
Yeah, if you were living somewhere in Africa where your life expectancy was 30.

I am applying to grad school this summer as a alternative to my main plans in case they fall through. I would be 32-33 by the time I would finish a PhD. I don't understand what the rush is. Didn't work experience used to be pretty much required before one went to grad school 30 or 40 years ago? You would be hard pressed to find some of the lab equipment at many universities that is available in industry.

As I know, people completed their undergraduate study at 19-20 in last century.

Is it true?
you mean the 20th century? very much so, that extends to the 21st century, I'm from the Philippines and I completed my undergraduate study at age 20 (I'm 24 now btw)