At what angle θ will the cylinder of height h and radius r will tumble?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Lebkuchen22
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. [One of the curators at the art museum is tilting a large cylinder backward. At what angle θ will the cylinder of height h and radius r will tumble?]


3. The Attempt at a Solution [I know that the angle at which it tilts is when the cog moves beyond the supporting edge. Also, I know that length = h and width = 2r. How do I find that angle with this?]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw vertical lines from cog when it is straight and tilted. In the second case this vertical line must pass through the supporting edge. Angle between these vertical lines is the required angle.