1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmospheric pressure and density.

1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    My question states:

Given that the ground-level pressure of the Earth’s atmosphere is [tex]1.033 *10^5 N m^−^2,[/tex] calculate the mass of the atmosphere. If the ground-level atmospheric density is [tex]1.293 kg m^−^3[/tex], calculate the scale height.

For the first bit, I used P=nKT, assuming a temperature of 300K, and I then calculated the number of molecules per unit area, and multiplied this number by the surface area of the Earth. I then assumed that the atmosphere was made entirely of Nitrogen and so multiplied the number of molecules by the mass of a molecule. I ended up with the answer [tex]5.99*10^1^4[/tex] kg. Does this sound about right?

For the second part I am totally stumped. Surely if you put the height in as 0, that will tell you nothing about the scale height.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently, the total mass of the atmosphere is around 5.3x1018 kilograms according to hypertextbook. You may want to factor in oxygen as a fifth is a significant proportion. Also, try taking the earths median temperature (which is about 250k)

The scale height is defined as being The height in the atmosphere where pressure is e-1 times its value at the surface, perhaps this page can be of some help. :smile:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  4. Jun 5, 2006 #3
    They still don't give me the required order of magnitude. This is going to be a very hard exam tomorrow.

5. Jun 5, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've just noticed something;

I hope you mean pV = nkT

6. Jun 5, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although, accoring to Wiki (I hesitate to use this a source);

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?