Atmospheric railway versus conventional railway

In summary, the new automated people mover called Aeromovel is built using atmospheric railway principles and it uses pressure plate to convert electrical energy into motion. The system is designed to be 50% to 60% of the weight of a comparable APM with electric motors, which should reduce losses. I'm not sure if the efficiency of the system can be shown on the basic physics, but the rats should not be a problem.
tjej
There is a new automated people mover (APM) opening in Porto Alegre, Brazil called Aeromovel; it is built using atmospheric railway principles (see http://www.copa2014.gov.br/en/noticia/100-national-technology-aeromovel-reaches-its-final-construction-stages-porto-alegre)

The vehicles runs with steel wheels on steel rails but are propelled by a pressure plate running in a duct below the track. A pressure differential is applied to the plate by stationary electric motors along the track either blowing air or extracting air.

Someone asked me why they don't just use electric motors mounted on the vehicles. The argument for Aeromovel is that because of the 50% to 60% lower dead-weight of the vehicle less energy is required and this compensates for other losses.

Assuming the Aeromovel vehicle is 50% of the weight of a comparable APM with electric motors, obviously KE= 1/2mv^2 means the electrical energy translated into motion is also 50% for the same top speed. Thus the losses for Aeromovel in the converting electrical energy into air pressure and then conveying that pressure along the duct would have to be less than 50%. Assuming the other APM uses regenerative braking to recoup 20% this would fall to 30%.

I started to analyse each loss in more detail such as
1. the loss along the duct using
ploss*= λ (l / dh) (ρ v2*/ 2)
where ploss*= pressure loss (Pa, N/m2), λ*= friction coefficient, l*= length of duct or pipe (m), dh*=*hydraulic diameter*(m)
2. taking into account the greater efficiency (~90%?) of large electric motors compared to (~85%) of bogie mounted motors
3. the higher frictional force on the conventional APM
etc.

My physics is a little rusty so I'm not sure if I'm making this more complicated than it should be.
Also I'm a bit stuck as to the size of motors the APM would need; assume it accelerates at a=3.33 m/s2 to v=10m/s and its weight is m=5,000kg. The time is 3 sec (10/3.33) and the distance traveled is 15m (1/2at^2) but what power would be required?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IK Brunel had an atmospheric railway on the line between Exeter and Dawlish, at Starcross (in Devon) during the 10th Century. The only thing that seriously stopped it working properly was the rats ate the leather seals!
My friend keeps his boat in what was the old pump house, I believe (or next door to it).
Nothing new under the Sun.
N.B In his day, they didn't have the option of Electric Propulsion, which involves far fewer losses!

Thanks. I was aware of the precedent. You mean the 19th century. (It would have been really impressive if it was the 10th.)

Rubber seals have replaced leather ones and electric motors have replaced steam engines.

I'm really interested to see if the efficiency of atmospheric railways can be shown on the basic physics.

sophiecentaur said:
the rats ate the leather seals!
Rubber seals have replaced leather
Rats and martens love to chew on rubber.

tjej said:
Thanks. I was aware of the precedent. You mean the 19th century. (It would have been really impressive if it was the 10th.)

Rubber seals have replaced leather ones and electric motors have replaced steam engines.

I'm really interested to see if the efficiency of atmospheric railways can be shown on the basic physics.

A nice typo, there. William the Conqueror could have got to Hastings by train, perhaps?

For fun, perhaps but so many unknown unknowns, I think.

the rats ate the leather seals!

Rubber seals have replaced leather

Rats and martens love to chew on rubber.

There has been a system running in Jakarta for 24 years and there are no reports of rats being a problem. (martens aren't native to either Brazil or Indonesia so we won't know about that.)

Any comments on the underlying physics?

What is an atmospheric railway?

An atmospheric railway is a form of railway transportation that uses air pressure to power trains instead of traditional locomotives.

How does an atmospheric railway work?

In an atmospheric railway, a pipe or tube is laid between the rails of the track, and a piston-like device attached to the train is inserted into the pipe. Air is then either pumped or sucked out of the pipe, creating a vacuum or pressure that propels the train forward.

What are the advantages of an atmospheric railway over a conventional railway?

One of the main advantages of an atmospheric railway is that it eliminates the need for traditional locomotives, which can be expensive and require ongoing maintenance. This can result in cost savings for the railway company. Additionally, atmospheric railways are quieter and have less impact on the environment.

What are the disadvantages of an atmospheric railway?

One major disadvantage of an atmospheric railway is that it requires a continuous pipe or tube to be laid along the entire length of the track, which can be costly and time-consuming to install. Additionally, atmospheric railways are limited in their speed and weight capacity compared to conventional railways.

Are there any existing atmospheric railways in operation?

There have been several atmospheric railways built throughout history, but most have been discontinued due to technological advancements and the limitations of the system. However, there are a few small-scale atmospheric railways that are still in operation for tourist purposes, such as the Dingle Road and Lartigue Monorailways in Ireland.