Attack of my horrid math skills, pt. 1

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Skills
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
moe darklight
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
I thought I should start numbering these... anyway, here's another brain-fart where I miss something obvious:

in the book the dude uses:

[tex]\[<br /> f(x) = \frac{1}{{30}}\sqrt {a^2 + x^2 } + \frac{1}{{60}}(b - x)<br /> \][/tex]

later on he continues, using:

[tex]\[<br /> f'(x) = \frac{1}{{30}}\frac{1}{2}(a^2 + x^2 )^{ - 1/2} (2x) - \frac{1}{{60}}<br /> \][/tex]

where'd that 2x come from? isn't the derivative of [tex]\[<br /> \sqrt {a^2 + x^2 } <br /> \][/tex] just [tex]\[<br /> \frac{1}{2}(a^2 + x^2 )^{ - 1/2} <br /> \][/tex]?

thanks :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well assuming that you mean x instead of b, that 2x comes from the chain rule.
 
yea chain rule but also he seems to have confused x for b in the derivative, should be [tex]\frac{1}{2}(a^2+x^2)^{-1/2}(2x)[/tex]
 
blah, I'm an idiot :smile: . o well, haha thanks.

and yea those two were typos; I fixed them.