Attempt at volume integration to compute the full field equation

In summary: This is in terms of the primed co-ordinates, though I didn't include the prime marks.x' is related to r' by means of two......vector components, which are ##x^2+y^2## and ##x^2+z^2##.
tade
I'm trying to figure out this volume integral, a triple integral, of a 9-variable function.

3 Cartesian-dimension variables, and 6 primed and un-primed co-ordinates.

Dx0prd6.png

After the volume integration, the un-primed co-ordinates will have been gotten rid of, leaving a field function in terms of the primed co-ordinates.

It's looks really tricky to my simple mind, I hope I can get some pointers, or recommendations on software which could potentially help solve it.

Attachments

• Dx0prd6.png
    Dx0prd6.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe Maple might be of help?

In the homework section, you are supposed to show us some effort of things you have tried. How have you approached the problem?

phyzguy said:
In the homework section, you are supposed to show us some effort of things you have tried. How have you approached the problem?
sorry, I'm not sure how to begin, was hoping for some pointers

Try converting to spherical polar coordinates with the z-axis pointing along r'. Then the denominator becomes:
[tex] r^5 (r^2 + r'^2 - 2r r' \cos(\theta))^{3/2}[/tex]

Last edited:
phyzguy said:
Try converting to spherical polar coordinates with the z-axis pointing along r'. Then the denominator becomes:
[tex] r^5 (r^2 + r'^2 - 2r r' \cos(\theta))^3[/tex]

The "dimensions" of the second factor in the (original) denominator are ##r^3##, so the second factor in the new denominator must be ##(r^2 + r'^2 - 2 r r' \cos \theta)^{3/2}.##

Ray Vickson said:
The "dimensions" of the second factor in the (original) denominator are ##r^3##, so the second factor in the new denominator must be ##(r^2 + r'^2 - 2 r r' \cos \theta)^{3/2}.##

Thanks. I corrected my post.

phyzguy said:
[tex] r^5 (r^2 + r'^2 - 2r r' \cos(\theta))^{3/2}[/tex]
oh, then that would turn r' into a scalar variable right?

The scalar variable being the length of r', the magnitude of the vector

tade said:
The scalar variable being the length of r', the magnitude of the vector

Yes, but r' is a constant with respect to the integration. It is not a variable being integrated over.

phyzguy said:
Yes, but r' is a constant with respect to the integration. It is not a variable being integrated over.
ok, I guess you could say the integral is sort of like ∂x∂y∂z? or ∂r∂θ∂Φ

tade said:
ok, I guess you could say the integral is sort of like ∂x∂y∂z?

I don't know what you are asking. Can you re-write the integral with the change of variables I suggested?

phyzguy said:
I don't know what you are asking. Can you re-write the integral with the change of variables I suggested?
tade said:
ok, I guess you could say the integral is sort of like ∂x∂y∂z? or ∂r∂θ∂Φ
what I meant was instead of being 'd', it is effectively '∂'

Also, do you think I should modify the three 'a' variables, or leave them as they are?

tade said:
what I meant was instead of being 'd', it is effectively '∂'
Also, do you think I should modify the three 'a' variables, or leave them as they are?

Well, since x,y,z are independent variables, when you integrate over x, for example, you treat y and z as constant. But this is always the case in multi-dimensional integration, and one typically uses the notation dx instead of [itex] \partial x [/itex]. As for the a's, I am assuming they are constants (not functions of x,y,z). If you know otherwise, you will have to include their functional form in the integration.

phyzguy said:
Well, since x,y,z are independent variables, when you integrate over x, for example, you treat y and z as constant. But this is always the case in multi-dimensional integration, and one typically uses the notation dx instead of [itex] \partial x [/itex]. As for the a's, I am assuming they are constants (not functions of x,y,z). If you know otherwise, you will have to include their functional form in the integration.
The a's are components of the vector a. But a is just a single vector, it doesn't represent 3-D space.

tade said:
The a's are components of the vector a. But a is just a single vector, it doesn't represent 3-D space.

Is it a constant vector, or is it a function of (x,y,z)? that's the question you need to know the answer to.

phyzguy said:
Is it a constant vector, or is it a function of (x,y,z)? that's the question you need to know the answer to.
A constant vector, independent of (x,y,z)

phyzguy said:

@Ray Vickson @phyzguy I tried integrating with an unmodified 'a' in Maple, unfortunately it couldn't solve it.

I hope I can find the solution. :wideeyed:

In fact, I actually have what might be a potential solution. I just want to prove that it is in fact the solution.

$$\frac{{a_z}x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$
##a_x## and ##a_y## are no longer in the equation.

This is in terms of the primed co-ordinates, though I didn't include the prime marks.x' is related to r' by means of two angles. Since the numerator is x', this means that the triple integral introduces two new angular variables to make up for the reduction of two variables in the earlier simplification, though I'm not sure how that might happen.

Last edited:
tade said:
@Ray Vickson @phyzguyIn fact, I actually have what might be a potential solution. I just want to prove that it is in fact the solution.

$$\frac{{a_z}x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$
##a_x## and ##a_y## are no longer in the equation.

This is in terms of the primed co-ordinates, though I didn't include the prime marks.x' is related to r' by means of two angles. Since the numerator is x', this means that the triple integral introduces two new angular variables to make up for the reduction of two variables in the earlier simplification, though I'm not sure how that might happen.
@phyzguy, I've realized that in order to convert the un-primed x,y,z co-ordinates to something in terms of r, I'll need to convert them to intermediate Cartesian co-ordinates, which adds the two new angular variables, using the rotation matrix. But just 2 out of the 3 angles of 3-D rotation.

I'll then have to apply the spherical co-ordinate transformations, adding another two angular variables.

Also, any suggestions on proving or disproving my possible solution?

tade said:
@phyzguy, I've realized that in order to convert the un-primed x,y,z co-ordinates to something in terms of r, I'll need to convert them to intermediate Cartesian co-ordinates, which adds the two new angular variables, using the rotation matrix. But just 2 out of the 3 angles of 3-D rotation.

I'll then have to apply the spherical co-ordinate transformations, adding another two angular variables.

Also, any suggestions on proving or disproving my possible solution?

Two comments:
(1) I don't know what you mean by "intermediate Cartesian co-ordinates". You are integrating over all space, so you are free to use any set of coordinates that you want. Just transform from (x,y,z) to (r,θ,φ) and go from there.

(2) I do not think that your proposed solution is correct.

phyzguy said:
(1) I don't know what you mean by "intermediate Cartesian co-ordinates". You are integrating over all space, so you are free to use any set of coordinates that you want. Just transform from (x,y,z) to (r,θ,φ) and go from there.
For example, ##x=x_r cosA - y_r sinA## and ##x_r = r sinθ ⋅cosφ##

Thus adding a new angular variable A.
phyzguy said:
(2) I do not think that your proposed solution is correct.
sorry, what's the reasoning?

tade said:
For example, ##x=x_r cosA - y_r sinA## and ##x_r = r sinθ ⋅cosφ##
Thus adding a new angular variable A.

Why not just [itex] x = r \sin(\theta) \cos(\phi); y = r \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi); z = r \cos(\theta) [/itex]

sorry, what's the reasoning?

What is your reasoning for thinking it is the solution?

phyzguy said:
Why not just [itex] x = r \sin(\theta) \cos(\phi); y = r \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi); z = r \cos(\theta) [/itex]
The original unprimed co-odn.s are in co-odn. system where r' isn't always pointing in the z-direction.

In 2-D, we've got one angle of rotation, in 3-D, three angles, but the direction of a vector needs only two angles to be specified.
phyzguy said:
What is your reasoning for thinking it is the solution?
It has to do with the moving magnet and conductor problem.

A static magnetic field B in the magnet's frame is transformed into a varying magnetic field B' in the conductor's frame by means of a Galilean velocity boost, v.
There is a magnetically induced electric field E' in the conductor's frame.

It can be shown that ##∇×E'=-\frac{∂B'}{∂t'}=∇×(v×B)##

It is then inferred that ##E'=v×B##. I'm trying to prove that that is indeed the case.

B is of a current element following the Biot-Savart law. The volume integral is to obtain E', and it uses a form similar to the Biot-Savart Law.

##∇⋅(\frac{∂B'}{∂t'})=\frac{∂}{∂t'}(∇⋅B')=\frac{∂}{∂t'}(∇⋅B)=0##, so this calculation of the E-field will satisfy ##∇×E'=-\frac{∂B'}{∂t'}##.

Last edited:
As I've tried to point out, you are integrating over all space. So you are free to use whatever coordinate system you choose. That means you can choose a coordinate system where the z-axis is aligned along r'. But you don't seem to accept this, so go ahead and solve the problem with whatever means you are comfortable with.

phyzguy said:
As I've tried to point out, you are integrating over all space. So you are free to use whatever coordinate system you choose. That means you can choose a coordinate system where the z-axis is aligned along r'. But you don't seem to accept this, so go ahead and solve the problem with whatever means you are comfortable with.

huh? I accept it.

Just that we might need to use the 3-D rotation matrices, adding another two angular variables.

And if proving is easier than integrating, I'll take it.

tade said:
huh? I accept it.

Just that we might need to use the 3-D rotation matrices, adding another two angular variables.

And if proving is easier than integrating, I'll take it.

You don't need any rotation matrices. Just choose a new set of variables - (r, θ,φ), with the z-axis pointing along r'.

phyzguy said:
You don't need any rotation matrices. Just choose a new set of variables - (r, θ,φ), with the z-axis pointing along r'.
Does that imply that my possible solution is incorrect, since it can't be expressed solely in terms of r' and the a's?

And we're integrating over a 3-D field, I was thinking, when we rotate r' into alignment with the z-axis, the 3-D field rotates as well.

A better way to think of it is that you are leaving the r' vector unchanged, but using a different set of (x,y,z) variables to do the integration.

phyzguy said:
A better way to think of it is that you are leaving the r' vector unchanged, but using a different set of (x,y,z) variables to do the integration.
hmm, but that seems like a case of relative motion; the vector unchanged and the co-ordinate system rotating, or the vector rotating and the co-ordinate system unchanged. The mathematical result should be the same.

1. What is volume integration and how is it used to compute the full field equation?

Volume integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total value of a function over a three-dimensional region. In the context of computing the full field equation, it involves breaking down the equation into smaller parts and integrating each part over the entire volume to obtain the final solution.

2. What are the benefits of using volume integration in computing the full field equation?

Volume integration allows for a more accurate and comprehensive solution to the full field equation, as it takes into account the entire three-dimensional region rather than just a single point or surface. It also allows for the incorporation of complex boundary conditions and non-uniform material properties.

3. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using volume integration for the full field equation?

One of the main challenges of volume integration is the complexity and time required for computation, especially for higher-dimensional problems. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts such as vector calculus and numerical methods.

4. How does volume integration differ from other methods of solving the full field equation?

Volume integration is a numerical method, meaning it uses numerical techniques to approximate the solution. Other methods, such as analytical or closed-form solutions, involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the solution. Volume integration is also more versatile and can handle a wider range of boundary conditions and material properties.

5. Can volume integration be applied to other equations or problems in science?

Yes, volume integration is a commonly used technique in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be applied to a wide range of equations and problems that involve calculating the total value of a function over a three-dimensional region.