1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attempting to find tension force with electric fields

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small conducting sphere of mass 5.0x10^-3 kg attached to a string of length 20 cm, is at rest in a uniform electric field E. There is a charge of -5.0x10^-6 coulomb on the sphere. The string makes an angle of 30° with the vertical. Calculate the tension in the string. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field.

2. Relevant equations
    Probably have to use Fm = BIlsin° Not sure what else, though.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I have no idea where to start. We haven't really covered this in class yet, and I don't know what to Google to figure it out that way... Help, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you draw the free body diagram? What are all the forces on the mass? What do you know about the magnitude and direction of each?

4. Feb 18, 2013 #3
    Okay, I think this is the right free-body diagram. I could be wrong, though. But this is the apparatus set-up we're given.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The OP doesn't say the field is horizontal (so doesn't provide enough info for a solution), but maybe you left that out. So your diagram looks ok. Can you write down the equilibrium equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook