How to Calculate Tension Forces in a System?

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in each section of string in terms of ##θ_1##, m, and g. The equilibrium of force and dimensional analysis of force are relevant equations. The support points are at rest and in each point, there are two equal tension forces acting in opposite directions. However, there may be additional tension forces to consider, such as the tension in the vertically hanging strings. Taking into account all tension forces, the solution can be determined.
Akash47

Homework Statement

st.JPG

Find the tension in each section of string in terms of ##θ_1##,m and g.

Homework Equations

Equilibrium of force,dimensional analysis of force.

The Attempt at a Solution

The support points are at rest and in each points,there are two equal tension force acting in opposite direction(I have assumed that).Then the tension forces can be calculated easily.But is my assumption correct?If not,then how can I approach?

Attachments

• st.JPG
    st.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
Akash47 said:
The support points are at rest and in each points,there are two equal tension force acting in opposite direction(I have assumed that).
Not sure why you think only two forces act at the support points. (Each attached string segment exerts a force.) But at each point, the net force must be zero.

Don't forget the tension in the vertically hanging strings.

Doc Al said:
Don't forget the tension in the vertically hanging strings.
I haven't forget that.I was just saying that in each point,there are two forces acting in the 'X' axis by the two attached string and as the point is in rest,so this forces are same.And considering the vertical tensions,we can easily end up with the solution.Am I right?

Likes CWatters
Akash47 said:
I haven't forget that.I was just saying that in each point,there are two forces acting in the 'X' axis by the two attached string and as the point is in rest,so this forces are same.And considering the vertical tensions,we can easily end up with the solution.Am I right?
Certainly the x-components of the tension forces at each point must be equal and opposite. If that's what you mean, then I agree.

Likes CWatters

1. What are tension forces in a system?

Tension forces are forces that act in opposite directions along a single line or rope, pulling on the objects at either end. They are caused by the stretch or compression of the material that the line or rope is made of.

2. How are tension forces calculated?

Tension forces can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a tension force, the mass used in the calculation is the total mass of the object being pulled on.

3. What is the difference between tension and compression forces?

Tension forces act to pull on an object, while compression forces act to push on an object. Both forces can occur in a system, but they have opposite effects on the objects they act on.

4. What factors can affect the tension forces in a system?

The tension forces in a system can be affected by the mass of the objects being pulled on, the strength and elasticity of the material the line or rope is made of, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How can tension forces be managed or controlled in a system?

Tension forces can be managed or controlled by adjusting the mass of the objects being pulled on, using stronger or more elastic materials for the line or rope, and changing the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, adding support structures or using multiple lines or ropes can help distribute the tension forces more evenly.