1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attenuator for 170 GHz frequency

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    hi, everyone.

i need to convert my 10 dbm,170 GHz signal in to -1 dbm,170 GHz. so which kind of attenuator is best for me.??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2
    Some kind of obstruction inside the waveguide should suffice, it just has to be properly sized ... but I'm not an expert on millimeter microwaves.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3
    How are you generating 10 dBm at that frequency?

You must have access to some suberb test equipment. Agilent's millimeter-wave source modules outputs at most -10 dBm at full power in the upper range of D band.

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4
    He mentioned a gyrotron in the other post ... MIT has a gyrotron that generates 80 dBm at 140 GHz.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    Such a gyrotron is a huge power hog, and requires strong magnetic fields to operate, probably derived from superconducting magnets. I'm wondering though, how does one without basic knowledge of microwave tech, would get permission to experiment with such a device?

7. Aug 18, 2010 #6
    Yeah, 65 kV electron beams, superconducting 5 tesla magnets. And I bet you can fry yourself real easy with 80 dBm of microwaves. But surely there are smaller gyrotrons out there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook