Atwood machine rope tension problem

In summary, the smaller mass is 5.2 kg and the heavier mass is 14.4 kg. The tension in the cord is 74.88 N.
Freeq

Homework Statement

Smaller mass on an Atwood machine is 5.2 kg (m1). If the mass accelerates at 4.6 m/s2what is the mass of the object? What is the tension of the rope?

Homework Equations

a = g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't approach this questions, because we always worked with two masses and had to find acceleration and tension of the string, but we have never worked without the second mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the smaller mass. What forces are operating on it? What does Newton's second law have to say about the net force and resulting acceleration on a given mass?

That's what I did. According to Newton's law the forces need to be equal on boths sides.

(Left side)
Ft=m1g+m1a
Ft=(5.2x9.8)+(5.2x4.6)
Ft=74.88N

Then I can sub in Ft into the second equation.

(Right side)
Ft=m2g-m2a
Ft=m2(g-a)

When I want to check it, it works perfectly!
Ft=m2g-m2a
Ft=(14.4x9.8)-(14.4x4.6)
Ft=74.88N

Thanks!

Attachments

• physics_updated.jpg
    physics_updated.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:
I see that in your diagram, on the left hand side, you have an equation relating the forces acting on the smaller mass.

Your equation is FT = mg + ma. Since FT must be acting upwards on m, and mg must be operating downwards, and since the acceleration of the mass must be upwards (it's the smaller mass), then the equation should probably look like: FT = ma - mg for this smaller mass.

Now, for which of the variables in that equation do you have values?

EDIT: Silly me. ma should be the reaction force. That does indeed make it FT = mg + ma as you wrote. Apologies.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Your equation is FT = mg + ma. Since FT must be acting upwards on m, and mg must be operating downwards, and since the acceleration of the mass must be upwards (it's the smaller mass), then the equation should probably look like: FT = ma - mg for this smaller mass.

Not really, because when you think about tension of the rope, you need to add two opposite forces (or substract two forces in the same direction), and even if it should be mg-ma, and this is equation for the bigger mass. Which grade are you in? :D

Last edited:
If the smaller mass is accelerating upwards, then the force on that mass due to the tension in the cord exceeds the force due to gravity on that mass. Thus I write ma = T - mg, or T = ma - mg. This allows you to solve for the tension given values that you have in hand, namely the mass and acceleration of the small block. Try it.

EDIT: Doh! ma = T - mg, so T = ma + mg.

Sorry about that. I've been up to long...

Last edited:
ok I am going to teach you a bit of physics, the greater the downward force of gravity on the object, the greater the upward tension in the rope. In other words, the more the material is stretched, the greater the tension in the material. Now let's apply this to my assigmnent question : the smaller mass is stretched downward by gravity and upward by acceleration where, the bigger mass is only stretched downward by gravity and that stretch is reduced by upward acceleration, so the tension of the smaller object needs to be added.

Well, Freeq, if you have all the answers, you should be able to solve the problem without help!:smile: Write your equation and solve for the tension.

As for the heavier mass, you can solve the equation that you already wrote:

a = g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)

for m2 and plug in the known values of a and m1to find m2.

Good luck!

Freeq said:
(Right side)
Ft=m2g-m2a
Ft=m2(g-a)

I forgot to fiinish this so,
m2= Ft/(g-a)
m2=74.88/(9.8-4.6)
m2=14.4kg

BTW: I goofed on the picture - I wrote the mass of smaller object 5.3kg which it should be m1 5.2kg
Then I want to prove you AGAIN that this is right, by using the formula you mentionied in your post above.

a= g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)
a= 9.8(14.4-5.2)/(14.4+5.2)
a= 4.6 m/s2

Which is right, because the acceleration given in the question is 4.6 m/s2

Dear gneill, I'm glad that I helped you understand physics a litte bit better :)

For more info/refference visit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_(physics )

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an Atwood machine rope tension problem?

An Atwood machine rope tension problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension in ropes of an Atwood machine, which is a device consisting of two masses connected by a rope passing over a pulley.

What are the key principles involved in solving an Atwood machine rope tension problem?

The key principles involved in solving an Atwood machine rope tension problem are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the laws of inertia and action-reaction. These laws state that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What are the steps to solve an Atwood machine rope tension problem?

The steps to solve an Atwood machine rope tension problem are:

1. Determine the masses of the objects connected by the rope
  2. Draw a free body diagram for each object
  3. Write equations for the sum of the forces in the x and y directions for each object
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the acceleration of the masses
  5. Use the acceleration to calculate the tension in the rope

What is the difference between the tension in the rope on each side of the pulley in an Atwood machine?

The tension in the rope on each side of the pulley in an Atwood machine is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is due to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The pulley exerts a force on the rope, and the rope exerts an equal and opposite force on the pulley.

What factors can affect the tension in an Atwood machine rope?

The tension in an Atwood machine rope can be affected by the mass of the objects connected by the rope, the acceleration of the masses, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. Additionally, friction and the weight of the rope itself can also have an impact on the tension in the rope.