1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood machine, solve for angular acceleration

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The goal is to solve for angular acceleration with the end variables being m1,m2,m3, R, r, g.
    M2 > M1.
    An atwood machine is a pulley with 2 masses, one on each side.

2. Relevant equations
    Tnet = I * angular acceleration
    Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you have to solve for both the masses and the pulley itself, but how do you relate them?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How does the angular acceleration of the pulley relate to the linear acceleration of the masses?

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    It's the same?

5. May 20, 2010 #4

Doc Al

:confused: How can an angular acceleration be the same as a linear acceleration? (But they are simply related though.)

6. May 20, 2010 #5
    I must've misunderstood your question, I simply thought that because the mass is having a linear acceleration downward, therefore causing the pulley to have an angular acceleration, they must be the same :S. I'm bad at this angular stuff :(.
    Angular acceleration the change in angular velocity over time, and angular velocity is the change in angle over time... so..... I still can't relate them :S.

7. May 20, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Hint: Given the angular acceleration of the pulley, what's the tangential acceleration along its circumference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook