Atwood machine, solve for angular acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for angular acceleration in an Atwood machine using the equations Tnet = I * angular acceleration and Fnet = ma. The relationship between the angular acceleration of the pulley and the linear acceleration of the masses is questioned, with clarification that they are not the same but are related. A hint is given to consider the tangential acceleration along the circumference of the pulley.
aznboi855

Homework Statement

The goal is to solve for angular acceleration with the end variables being m1,m2,m3, R, r, g.
M2 > M1.
An atwood machine is a pulley with 2 masses, one on each side.

Homework Equations

Tnet = I * angular acceleration
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to solve for both the masses and the pulley itself, but how do you relate them?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the angular acceleration of the pulley relate to the linear acceleration of the masses?

It's the same?

aznboi855 said:
It's the same?
:confused: How can an angular acceleration be the same as a linear acceleration? (But they are simply related though.)

I must've misunderstood your question, I simply thought that because the mass is having a linear acceleration downward, therefore causing the pulley to have an angular acceleration, they must be the same :S. I'm bad at this angular stuff :(.
Angular acceleration the change in angular velocity over time, and angular velocity is the change in angle over time... so... I still can't relate them :S.

Hint: Given the angular acceleration of the pulley, what's the tangential acceleration along its circumference?

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of a pulley, a string, and two masses. The masses are connected by the string and hang over the pulley, allowing for the study of gravitational forces and acceleration.

2. How do you solve for angular acceleration in an Atwood machine?

To solve for angular acceleration in an Atwood machine, you need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up equations for the forces acting on each mass and solving for acceleration, you can then calculate the angular acceleration using the formula a = αr, where α is the angular acceleration and r is the radius of the pulley.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration in an Atwood machine?

The angular acceleration in an Atwood machine is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses and the radius of the pulley. A larger mass difference will result in a greater angular acceleration, while a larger radius of the pulley will result in a smaller angular acceleration.

4. Can angular acceleration be negative in an Atwood machine?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative in an Atwood machine. This occurs when the direction of the net force on the system is in the opposite direction of the motion. In this case, the mass on the heavier side will descend, causing the pulley to rotate in the opposite direction.

5. How is the tension in the string related to the angular acceleration in an Atwood machine?

The tension in the string is directly related to the angular acceleration in an Atwood machine. As the angular acceleration increases, the tension in the string also increases. This is because a larger angular acceleration requires a larger net force, which is provided by the tension in the string.