1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Auditing mechanical engineering classes?

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    I just graduated with my BS in physics and applied math. In a year or so, I may apply to grad schools in materials or mechanical engineering or applied math. I chose not to apply this fall since I don't have enough background in engineering to know for sure that I will enjoy graduate studies in those, since I haven't taken any engineering classes.

After completing plasma physics lab and thermodynamics this semester, I didn't enjoy either subject very much. I had enjoyed thermo from my freshman level calc-based physics course, but this upper-div thermo was too theoretical for me. Also, i had mixed feelings after completing quantum mechanics. That's why i've recently been leaning more towards mechanical instead of materials engineering. Also, i enjoyed my freshman-level mechanics class, so i think i may like Statics, Dynamics, and Vibrations. As for applied math, i enjoyed most of the courses in general, but didnt enjoy doing theorem proofs in real and fourier analysis, so if graduate level applied math requires doing theorem proofs, i wish to avoid it.

I've tried looking for research positions with engineering professors at my current school, but I don't qualify for them since I don't have an engineering background. But from my undergrad research projects and lab courses in physics, i'm sure i want to do programming and modeling instead of experimental work, related to physical problems. I'm not so much interested in the programming tools, so i dont think i'd like Computer science. I'm more interested in the programming tools to solve physical problems

Since i've now graduated from college, what should i do with my time? What should I do: audit some courses in mechanical engineering, find a full-time job, or find a undergrad research position? I dont know if the finding a full-time job option would work, since i may use this upcoming summer to join a research program, so i cant just find a full-time job now, and then quit for the summer, right?

for mechanical engineering, i've looked into heat transfer, fluid mechanics, statics, dynamics, and vibrations. But the only mechE classes i can audit next semester are fluid mech, statics, dynamics, and engineering thermo

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    my new semester starts in a few days. can anyone help me until then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook