Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: AunionB=AunionC, B=C

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to decide whether the theorem is correct and decide where the proof fails.
    AunionB=AunionC, B=C

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We will prove by contradiction. Suppose that A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and A[tex]\cup[/tex]C are not equal. Then there is some object x that is in one and not the other. We proceed by looking at 2 cases:
    First look at the case where x[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and x[tex]\notin[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]C. Then x[tex]\notin[/tex]A. So x[tex]\in[/tex]B. Also x[tex]\notin[/tex]C. Therefore x is in B and not in C, which contradicts the condition B=C.

I thought the theorme was correct, but I can't find where the proof goes wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That's NOT the way proof by contradiction works! To prove "if X then Y" by contradiction, you assume Y is not true. Here your theorem is "if [tex]A\cup B= A\cup C[/tex] then B= C. Proof by contradiction would start "suppose B is not equal to C".

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Oh yeah I forgot about that.

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4
    I think it's not true. You take A={1,2,3}. B={1,0}, C={2,0}. Then B not = C but A union B= A union C

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook