Automatic pattern recognition and data modeling

In summary: I see. However, I'm talking about having a computer look at a data set such as: 2,4.2,6,8.5 and figure out that the data can be best modeled by a linear equation.Doesn't MATLAB and/or some other mathematical tools have a data fitting / smoothing model that at least suggests what type of equation would be best to do this?Yes, there are several data fitting models that could be used. One example is the Lowess curve fitting that with cross-validation looks at data and does a curve fit by gluing together whatever fits the best range-wise, in other words, it does not use a single equation, but several for a best fit everywhere
moonman239
I can't help but think that some day, someone will figure out a way to get a computer to recognize patterns in a given set of data, and fit an equation, if there is any, to that set.

Such a system could be used in areas like forecasting stocks, weather, and sales, or even in air traffic control, which would be by far the coolest use of such a system.

Technology news on Phys.org
youtube can already "recognize" some video or audio patterns to search for "matched 3rd party content" in submitted videos, mostly used to include ad's on videos where some of the profit for the ad goes to the "3rd party content" copyright owner.

rcgldr said:
youtube can already "recognize" some video or audio patterns to search for "matched 3rd party content" in submitted videos, mostly used to include ad's on videos where some of the profit for the ad goes to the "3rd party content" copyright owner.

I see. However, I'm talking about having a computer look at a data set such as:

and figure out that the data can be best modeled by a linear equation.

moonman239 said:
I see. However, I'm talking about having a computer look at a data set such as: 2,4.2,6,8.5 and figure out that the data can be best modeled by a linear equation.
Doesn't MATLAB and/or some other mathematical tools have a data fitting / smoothing model that at least suggests what type of equation would be best to do this?

moonman239 said:
I see. However, I'm talking about having a computer look at a data set such as:

and figure out that the data can be best modeled by a linear equation.

A computer can't do that for precisely the same reason that a human can't: it's impossible to unambiguously identify that as evidence of a linear relationship unless you supply more information to constrain the model selection. In fact, if you try to fit functions to that particular set of data you'll find that a cubic equation is a better fit than a linear equation.

As to your original question, lots has already been done: artificial neural nets, support vector machines, kernel methods more generally, and many others are all in widespread use in pattern recognition.

There is Lowess curve fitting that with cross-validation looks at data and does a curve fit by gluing together whatever fits the best range-wise, in other words, it does not use a single equation, but several for a best fit everywhere.

1. What is automatic pattern recognition and data modeling?

Automatic pattern recognition and data modeling is a branch of computer science that involves using algorithms and statistical methods to automatically identify patterns and trends in large datasets. It is commonly used in various fields such as machine learning, data mining, and artificial intelligence.

2. How does automatic pattern recognition work?

Automatic pattern recognition uses mathematical and statistical methods to analyze large amounts of data and identify patterns or trends. This is accomplished by training algorithms on a dataset and then using the trained model to classify new data based on the patterns it has learned.

3. What are the benefits of automatic pattern recognition and data modeling?

The benefits of automatic pattern recognition and data modeling include increased efficiency in data analysis, improved accuracy in identifying patterns and trends, and the ability to handle large and complex datasets. It also allows for the discovery of previously unknown patterns and insights.

4. What are some real-world applications of automatic pattern recognition and data modeling?

Automatic pattern recognition and data modeling have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as finance, healthcare, marketing, and manufacturing. It is used for fraud detection, disease diagnosis, customer segmentation, and predictive maintenance, among others.

5. What are the potential challenges of using automatic pattern recognition and data modeling?

Some challenges of automatic pattern recognition and data modeling include finding the right algorithms and parameters for a specific dataset, dealing with biased or incomplete data, and the potential for overfitting. There is also the ethical concern of using these technologies, such as potential discrimination or privacy violations.