Auxiliary Eqns with Complex Roots

In summary, the initial value problem y''+9y = 0, y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 1 can be solved by finding the roots of r^2 + 9, which are r = +/- 3i. The general solution form is y(t) = C1e^At*(cosBt) + C2e^At*(sinBt), where A is the real number and B is the imaginary number. Since the real root is 0, the general solution simplifies to y(t) = C1cos3t + C2sin3t. By plugging in the initial values of y(0) = 1 and y'(0) =
marco101

Homework Statement

solve the initial value problem
y''+9y = 0, y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 1

Homework Equations

gen solution form is y(t) = C1e^At*(cosBt) + C2e^At*(sinBt)
where A is the real number and B is the imaginary number

The Attempt at a Solution

i just wanted to check if I am doing this right.
i started off finding the roots,
r^2 + 9
r = +/- 3i
since the real is 0, e would be raised to 0 and become one leaving me with C1cos3t + C2sin3t

Physics news on Phys.org
marco101 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i just wanted to check if I am doing this right.
i started off finding the roots,
r^2 + 9
r = +/- 3i
since the real is 0, e would be raised to 0 and become one leaving me with C1cos3t + C2sin3t

Yes that is correct. Now find y(0) and y'(0)

since there are double roots, should i make changes to the general solution form? everything cancels out to be zero because y'' = -9cos3t -9sin3t and y = 9cos3t + 9sin3t because it was multiplied by 9 in the original equation.

marco101 said:
since there are double roots, should i make changes to the general solution form? everything cancels out to be zero because y'' = -9cos3t -9sin3t and y = 9cos3t + 9sin3t because it was multiplied by 9 in the original equation.

double roots would mean r=3i,3i or r=-3i,-3i. You have r=0±3i. So yes your general solution is correct.

Also from y = 9cos3t + 9sin3t, y''≠ y'' = -9cos3t -9sin3t , recheck your algebra on that one.

Anyway you take it y= 9cos3t +9sin3t is correct.

1. What are auxiliary equations with complex roots?

Auxiliary equations with complex roots are mathematical equations that are used to find the roots or solutions of a complex polynomial equation. They are also known as characteristic equations or secular equations.

2. How does one solve auxiliary equations with complex roots?

To solve auxiliary equations with complex roots, one needs to use the quadratic formula, which is a formula used to find the roots of a quadratic equation. The formula is given by x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

3. What are the applications of auxiliary equations with complex roots?

Auxiliary equations with complex roots have numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve complex variables, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and economic models.

4. Can auxiliary equations with complex roots have multiple solutions?

Yes, auxiliary equations with complex roots can have multiple solutions. This is because complex numbers have two components, a real part, and an imaginary part, which can lead to multiple solutions when solving a polynomial equation.

5. Are auxiliary equations with complex roots important in real-world scenarios?

Yes, auxiliary equations with complex roots are essential in real-world scenarios. They are used to solve problems that involve complex systems and variables, and they have numerous applications in various fields, making them a crucial tool for scientists and engineers.