Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Acceleration of a Accel vs Speed Graph

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Hi All

So I have an Accel vs Speed graph and data.
    Goes from 0 to 80 mph.
    This is all the info I have.

I would like to figure out what Average Acceleration would give me the same distance, of an acceleration from 0 MPH to 80 MPH.
    AKA, using the formula Distance = (Vfinale^2)/(2*Acceleration)

Any ideas on how to figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you plot 1/acceleration versus speed, your function value is proportional to the time spent at a specific velocity (assuming your acceleration is always positive).
    If you plot speed/acceleration versus speed, the area below the function is proportional to the distance travelled.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Sorry, but that still confuses me as the units don't add up. Also when I attempt to plot this out in excel and add up the area under the curve, the resulting numbers cannot be right

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The area under the v/t graph should give total distance, whatever the instantaneous velocity and accelerations are. Does that hold for an (a/v)/v graph too? Is there not a constant needed after the integration?

6. Dec 14, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

A simple example: v(t)=at+c with constant a and c.
    Distance after time T is ##\frac{1}{2}aT^2 + cT##.

v/a = t + c/a
    t=(v-c)/a
    Therefore, v/a = (v-c)/a + c/a = v/a (trivial in this example, as a is constant)
    Speed increases from c to c+aT. If we integrate v/a from c to c+aT, we get ##\int \frac{v}{a}dv = \frac{1}{2a}((c+aT)^2-c^2) = cT+\frac{1}{2}aT^2## - the same as above.

7. Dec 14, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wine and gin make this less accessible but the sums seem right in this case. It that also OK for non constant acceleration? I guess it could be - piecewise. Good one. I love it when someone else does the algebra and I can follow it.

8. Dec 14, 2012 #7
    Not just proportional to the distance traveled. It is equal to the distance traveled. Another way to do this is to plot 1/(2a) as a function of v2. This will also be equal to the distance traveled.

9. Dec 15, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

I did not check the prefactor when I wrote my first post here, but it is 1, right.

It works there as well, but the integration can get more difficult.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook