Average Engineering Phd Stipend?

In summary, the conversation is about expectations and funding for graduate school in engineering. The participants discuss the average salary for research work, a website that lists stipends for different universities, and the timing of receiving funding offers after acceptance into a program. There is also mention of a joke about CMOS humor and a picture posted on a forum.
nukapprentice
I was wondering if people could give me an idea of what I should expect.

Physics news on Phys.org
As my engineering professor liked to tell me, they try to bias you at the edge of saturation (CMOS humor).

At Berkeley, for example, you make about $16 an hour if you do research for a professor. You work 50% time during the academic year and if your prof. can afford it you work 100% during the summer.

So, very roughly, you'll get about $20k a year. More than enough to live in Berkeley if you have roommates.

There is a website called physicsgre that every year people post where they applied to grad school at and what their offers were, where they were accepted/rejected et al.

I noticed that they list the stipend they were offered for various Universities around the country as well as their GPA, papers, and all other qualifications when they applied.

There might be a website like that for Engineers too, but I don't know for certain. I do know that physicsgre.com does cater to engineering as well and there might be a similar post to the physics one there that lists the information for Engineering.

(Forgive me for not being able to immediately find the post, I'm on a smartphone!)

Yeah, 20000 sounds about right. Carlgrace, did they also pay for his/her tuition or did that person have to pay their own? Quarkcharmer, thanks for the website, I'll have to check it out.

carlgrace said:
As my engineering professor liked to tell me, they try to bias you at the edge of saturation (CMOS humor).

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/attachments/football/15691d1350272748-soundoff-tonight-10-14-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg[B][/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I had one more question. If you get accepted into a program, how long does it usually take to hear if you get funding or not?

nukapprentice said:
I guess I had one more question. If you get accepted into a program, how long does it usually take to hear if you get funding or not?

They should send you the offer with the acceptance from what I understand. I do know someone who was accepted but without a stipend, and then they got the stipend a while after. I guess it was a sort of provisional thing.

Thanks Quarkcharmer.

What is an average engineering PhD stipend?

An average engineering PhD stipend is the amount of money that a PhD student in engineering receives as financial support during their doctoral studies. The amount of the stipend can vary depending on factors such as the university, location, and field of engineering.

How much is the average engineering PhD stipend?

The average engineering PhD stipend can range from $20,000 to $40,000 per year, depending on the factors mentioned above. Some universities may offer higher stipends for students in high-demand engineering fields or for those with exceptional academic achievements.

Do engineering PhD students receive other benefits besides the stipend?

Yes, in addition to the stipend, engineering PhD students may also receive benefits such as tuition waivers, health insurance coverage, and conference travel funding. These benefits may vary depending on the university and the funding source.

How is the engineering PhD stipend funded?

The engineering PhD stipend is typically funded through a combination of sources, including the university, research grants, and fellowships. Some students may also receive funding from their department or external organizations.

Is the engineering PhD stipend taxable?

Yes, the engineering PhD stipend is considered taxable income. However, students may be eligible for certain tax deductions and credits, such as the Lifetime Learning Credit, to help offset the tax burden.