Understanding Air Resistance: Explaining the Math Behind Reduced Force

In summary, when the force of air resistance on an object with mass m moving at a constant velocity is reduced by a factor of 4, the acceleration of the object is 3/4 F/m. This can be determined by understanding that in order to maintain a constant velocity, the force of air resistance must cancel out the force of gravity (F/m). Therefore, when air resistance is reduced, the remaining net force is 3/4 of the original force. This can also be represented by the fraction 3/4, as mentioned in the conversation.
brake4country
Can someone please explain the math of this problem?

-If F is the force of air resistance on an object with mass m moving at a constant velocity, which of the following best describes the acceleration of the object when the force of air resistance is reduced by a factor of 4?
(a) F/m
(b) 1/2 F/m
(c) 1/4 F/m
(d) 3/4 F/m

The answer is d but I do not understand how to get it. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is moving at a constant velocity, what force is required in order to maintain that velocity in the initial case (with full air resistance)?

If the Air resistance is reduced by a factor of four, but the same force is assumed to be acting on the object, how does the object react?

I am assuming that when velocity is constant, then the F(air) must cancel out the F of (mg). Therefore, when I drew this out on paper, I made the F(mg) component longer and the F(air) shorter since F(air) is reduced.

How do the fraction come into play? How is the answer 3/4 F/m? Thanks in advance

brake4country said:
I am assuming that when velocity is constant, then the F(air) must cancel out the F of (mg). Therefore, when I drew this out on paper, I made the F(mg) component longer and the F(air) shorter since F(air) is reduced.

How do the fraction come into play? How is the answer 3/4 F/m? Thanks in advance

What is the net force remaining when you reduce the air resistance by a factor of 4?

I get it. Reducing by a factor of 4 requires one to think in terms of fractions (1/4). Therefore, the net F remaining is 3/4. Thanks again!

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air and the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect objects?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object, making it more difficult for the object to move through the air. This can also cause the object to change direction or even come to a complete stop.

3. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by making the object more streamlined, such as by shaping it to have a pointed or curved front. Another way to reduce air resistance is by decreasing the surface area of the object that is in contact with the air.

4. What factors affect the amount of air resistance an object experiences?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences is affected by its size, shape, speed, and the density of the air. Objects with larger surface areas and slower speeds will experience more air resistance than smaller, faster objects.

5. How does air resistance impact the flight of airplanes?

Air resistance plays a crucial role in the flight of airplanes. The shape and design of the airplane's wings are optimized to reduce air resistance, allowing the plane to fly more efficiently. Air resistance also affects the speed and altitude at which a plane can fly.