Average friction force on a falling apple

In summary, the problem involves an apple falling from a branch 20 m above the ground with a final velocity of 17 m/s. The question is asking for the average friction force exerted on the apple during its fall. Initially, the conservation of energy approach was used but the result seemed too high. It was then realized that the energy lost to friction would be equal to the work done by friction, which would be due to some average force applied over the distance of the fall. After calculating the difference in energy and dividing it by the distance, the friction force was found to be 0.386 N, which is a more reasonable answer.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

"A 0.15 kg apple falls from a branch 20 m above the ground. If it hits the ground with a speed of 17 m/s, what was the average friction force (due to air resistance) exerted on the apple?"

Homework Equations

At first, I thought I would use conservation of energy, PE = KE + Ff (where Ff is force due to friction) but I think there's something wrong with that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of energy I found Ff to be 7.725 (Joules? I think this should be in Newtons...), but I would expect it to be significantly lower.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Ff ? Can you explicit ?

Quinzio said:
What is Ff ? Can you explicit ?

Force due to friction = µN where µ = coefficient of friction and N = Normal Force

I'm skeptical as to whether I approached the problem with the appropriate formula.

Your conservation of energy approach could work. Note that you will be dealing with energy terms, not force terms (at least to begin with).

The energy lost to friction on the way down will be the difference between the initial potential energy (due to gravity and height) and the final kinetic energy (due to the achieved velocity).

If you call that energy difference the work done by friction, then that work would be due to some average force due to the friction applied over the distance of the fall...

gneill said:
If you call that energy difference the work done by friction, then that work would be due to some average force due to the friction applied over the distance of the fall...

Ahhh of course! Thanks, for some reason my mind wasn't working right with this problem.

So with that in mind...

PE = KE + Wf (where Wf is work done by Friction)

Difference in Energy comes out to be 7.725
Divided by Distance (20m...)
Friction Force comes out to be .386 N

Much more realistic. Thanks for the help!

1. What is average friction force on a falling apple?

The average friction force on a falling apple is the force that acts in the opposite direction of motion as the apple falls. It is caused by the interaction between the apple and the air and is affected by factors such as the apple's shape, size, and velocity.

2. How is average friction force on a falling apple calculated?

The average friction force on a falling apple is calculated using the formula F = μmg, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the apple and the air, m is the mass of the apple, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the average friction force on a falling apple?

The average friction force on a falling apple is affected by factors such as the apple's shape, size, and velocity. The coefficient of friction between the apple and the air also plays a role, as well as any external forces such as wind or air resistance.

4. Why is the average friction force on a falling apple important?

The average friction force on a falling apple is important because it helps to explain the motion of the apple as it falls. It also affects the rate at which the apple falls and can impact the accuracy of calculations or predictions involving the apple's trajectory.

5. How does the average friction force on a falling apple differ from other types of friction?

The average friction force on a falling apple is different from other types of friction in that it specifically applies to the motion of an object through a fluid (in this case, air). Other types of friction, such as static or kinetic friction, occur when objects are in contact with each other and can affect the motion of the objects in different ways.