Average temperature of a hotplate

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the average temperature of an 8-inch hot plate with a stationary temperature distribution described by T(x,y) = 400 cos(0.1 sqrt(x^2 + y^2)), measured in degrees Fahrenheit, over a region R = {(x, y) | x^2 + y^2 <= 16}. This can be solved using the Laplace equation and powerful theorems for elliptic partial differential equations. To find the average temperature, one can use a double integral with polar coordinates, dividing by the total area of the region. The integral can be simplified by making a substitution of t = 0.1 sqrt(r). Alternatively, integration by parts can also be used.
edough

Homework Statement

An 8-inch hot plate is described by the region R = {(x,y) | x2 + y2 16}. The temperature at the point (x,y) is given by T(x,y) = 400 cos(0.1 ), measured in degrees Fahrenheit. What is the average temperature of the hot plate?

Homework Equations

would i use the centers of mass equations and then plug in the x, y values that i get into the Temperature equation? (Can you even centers of mass for a temp average?)
X= My / m and Y = Mx / m

or should i set up a double integral or something? I am confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
no. it has to do with the stationary solution of the heat transfer equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = a^{2} \nabla^{2} u,
[/tex]

which, under the assumption of stationarity [tex]{\partial u}/{\partial t} = 0[/tex], reduces to the Laplace equation:

[tex]
\nabla^{2} u = 0,
[/tex]

where u(x, y) is the stationary temperature distribution.

There are powerful theorems for elliptic partial differential equations that enable you to find the solution.

Dickfore said:
no. it has to do with the stationary solution of the heat transfer equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = a^{2} \nabla^{2} u,
[/tex]

which, under the assumption of stationarity [tex]{\partial u}/{\partial t} = 0[/tex], reduces to the Laplace equation:

[tex]
\nabla^{2} u = 0,
[/tex]

where u(x, y) is the stationary temperature distribution.

There are powerful theorems for elliptic partial differential equations that enable you to find the solution.

Oh, come on. It's not a PDE problem. Just integrate T(x,y) over the plate and divide by the area of the plate. As read, the average temperature is 400*cos(0.1), it's a constant. There's clearly some formatting problems with the original question. The region of the plate should be x^2+y^2<=16.

I'm sorry. the original equation for T(x,y) = 400cos (0.1 sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) and yes the region is x^2 + y^2 <= 16. Very sorry about that..

So, I was trying to use a double integral with polar coordinates..

int (from 0 to 2pi) 2nd integral (from 0 to 4) [400cos( 0.1sqrt(r^r) )] *r dr d(theta)

Is this the right way of going about it?

edough said:
I'm sorry. the original equation for T(x,y) = 400cos (0.1 sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) and yes the region is x^2 + y^2 <= 16. Very sorry about that..

So, I was trying to use a double integral with polar coordinates..

int (from 0 to 2pi) 2nd integral (from 0 to 4) [400cos( 0.1sqrt(r^r) )] *r dr d(theta)

Is this the right way of going about it?

Yes, and you should also divide by the total area of the region.

Then How would i go about integrating 400cos(0.1*sqrt(r)) * r dr ??

edough said:

Make the substitution [tex]t = 0.1 \sqrt{r}[/tex]

edough said:

400cos (0.1 sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) is 400*cos(0.1*r). There's no sqrt(r) here. Just integrate by parts.

1. What is the average temperature of a hotplate?

The average temperature of a hotplate can vary depending on the type and brand, but typically ranges from 100°C to 400°C.

2. How do I measure the average temperature of a hotplate?

The average temperature of a hotplate can be measured using a thermometer or a temperature probe. Simply place the thermometer or probe on the surface of the hotplate and wait for it to display the temperature.

3. Can the average temperature of a hotplate be adjusted?

Yes, most hotplates have adjustable temperature settings that allow you to control the average temperature. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not exceed the maximum temperature for safety reasons.

4. What is the ideal average temperature for a hotplate?

The ideal average temperature for a hotplate depends on the intended use. For general heating and cooking, a range of 150°C to 200°C is recommended. However, for more precise heating and experiments, a lower or higher temperature may be required.

5. Can the average temperature of a hotplate affect its performance?

Yes, the average temperature of a hotplate can greatly affect its performance. It is important to maintain a consistent and accurate average temperature for optimal results. Fluctuations in temperature can also affect the reaction or experiment being conducted on the hotplate.