1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average temperature of a hotplate

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An 8-inch hot plate is described by the region R = {(x,y) | x2 + y2 16}. The temperature at the point (x,y) is given by T(x,y) = 400 cos(0.1 ), measured in degrees Fahrenheit. What is the average temperature of the hot plate?

2. Relevant equations

would i use the centers of mass equations and then plug in the x, y values that i get into the Temperature equation? (Can you even centers of mass for a temp average?)
    X= My / m and Y = Mx / m

or should i set up a double integral or something? im confused!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    no. it has to do with the stationary solution of the heat transfer equation:

[tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = a^{2} \nabla^{2} u,
    [/tex]

which, under the assumption of stationarity [tex]{\partial u}/{\partial t} = 0[/tex], reduces to the Laplace equation:

[tex]
    \nabla^{2} u = 0,
    [/tex]

where u(x, y) is the stationary temperature distribution.

There are powerful theorems for elliptic partial differential equations that enable you to find the solution.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, come on. It's not a PDE problem. Just integrate T(x,y) over the plate and divide by the area of the plate. As read, the average temperature is 400*cos(0.1), it's a constant. There's clearly some formatting problems with the original question. The region of the plate should be x^2+y^2<=16.

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4
    I'm sorry. the original equation for T(x,y) = 400cos (0.1 sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) and yes the region is x^2 + y^2 <= 16. Very sorry about that..

So, I was trying to use a double integral with polar coordinates..

int (from 0 to 2pi) 2nd integral (from 0 to 4) [400cos( 0.1sqrt(r^r) )] *r dr d(theta)

Is this the right way of going about it?

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5

Yes, and you should also divide by the total area of the region.

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6
    Then How would i go about integrating 400cos(0.1*sqrt(r)) * r dr ??

8. Apr 19, 2010 #7
    Make the substitution [tex]t = 0.1 \sqrt{r}[/tex]

9. Apr 19, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

400cos (0.1 sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) is 400*cos(0.1*r). There's no sqrt(r) here. Just integrate by parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook