1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average velocity from multiple displacement/velocities

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Heres the problem:
    "A car travels at a constant speed of 60kph for 30km, 40kph for another 30km and 50kph for the final 30km. What is the average speed of the car."

I know that in this case I can just add the velocities and divide by 3 since the displacements are equal and get 50kph as the average speed but when I tried to do it the long way I didn't get the same answer. First I calculated the total time elapsed like this d1/v1 + d2/v2 + d3/v3 and got t = 1.85h. Then to get the average speed I divided the total displacement by time (90/1.85) and got 48.65kph.

Theres a pattern there I've tried this with various problems and I always a little less than the right answer. Whats going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Although it might seem right, it's not. You really need to find total displacement over time.

Now if the time intervals were equal, then it would work. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook