What is the Average Velocity of a Race Car on a Circular Track?

In summary, the average speed is 0 m/s when the runner runs a quarter mile circular race track for 8 laps.
121910marj
Hi guys, sorry because I am quite confused.

If a person runs a quartermile circular race track for 8 laps for 25.0 min, what is the average speed? What is the average velocity?
Does that mean that the average velocity is zero m/s? Because the runner ends on the point where he started?

Thanks for your patience in answering above question but it's a lot of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
8(laps) * 1/4 mile/lap =2 miles
This is the distance he traveled, doesn't matter if its circular.

2miles/0.42h=0.833mph
This is the average speed. Whole distance divided by time he needed.

Yes, thank you. But my concern is about the average velocity.. if the track is circular would that mean that average velocity is 0 m/s.

What if that 8 times quarter mile circular track would just be 2 mile long straight track?
Would average velocity in that case, with your understanding also be 0?
What if track is just one big circle, or figure 8? Or some random curve that is connected?

I think I know where are you getting the idea. Are you confused by formula for average velocity being the "displacement" in a time interval? Displacement here means the whole path, all 8 tracks is a displacement here, not just the start/end point (which is the same).

You can imagine it like this: You do one step, and measure the time for that step, and another and another and another. Your steps are so small they are straight, so by your definition you can calculate the average speed. Now add all the steps and divide by whole time and you get average speed.

It doesn't really matter where you start and stop your path. <v>=dx/dt small distances over a short period of time integrated(summed) gives you average speed.

121910marj said:
Because the runner ends on the point where he started?

I see what you mean.
You are thinking about displacement. Velocity is distance/time, not displacement/time.

121910marj said:
Yes, thank you. But my concern is about the average velocity.. if the track is circular would that mean that average velocity is 0 m/s.
Yes. The displacement is zero so the average velocity would be zero.

The standard physics definitions:
ave velocity: displacement/time
ave speed: distance/time

121910marj said:
At any point around the track he has an instantaneous (non-zero) velocity, but the average velocity is 0 because his nett displacement is 0.

Ah sorry for the confusion I caused, in my language velocity and speed mean the same and I immediately assumed you were talking bout speed. Vocabulary updated :)

Yes in this case average velocity is 0.

Thank you very much for all your help. Especially, DocAI, the PF mentor & NascentOxygen.. Thanks so much! :))

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the overall speed and direction of an object over a certain period of time. It takes into account both the distance traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How is the average velocity of a race car calculated?

The average velocity of a race car is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the car by the total time it took to cover that distance. This gives a measure of the car's overall speed and direction over the entire race.

3. What factors can affect the average velocity of a race car?

The average velocity of a race car can be affected by a variety of factors, including the car's horsepower, aerodynamics, track conditions, and the skill of the driver. Other external factors such as weather and track temperature can also play a role.

4. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity takes into account the overall movement of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity measures the speed and direction of an object at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity can vary greatly, while average velocity gives a more consistent measure of the object's movement.

5. Why is the average velocity of a race car important?

The average velocity of a race car is important because it gives a measure of the car's performance over the entire race, rather than just a single moment. It can also be used to compare the performance of different cars and drivers, and can help teams make adjustments and improvements to their vehicles for future races.