1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average velocity over an interval

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity v of blood that flows in a blood vessel with radius R and length l at a distance r from the central axis is v(r), where P is the pressure difference between the ends of the vessel and η is the viscosity of the blood.
    v(r) = P/4nl (R^2 - r^2)

a) Find the average velocity vave (with respect to r) over the interval 0 ≤ r ≤ R.
    vave =

(b) Compare the average velocity vave with the maximum velocity vmax.

2. Relevant equations
    v(r) = P/4nl (R^2 - r^2)
    and
    http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=v2qyuycs2k81812&thumb=6 [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm looking at this and trying to work it out and the best I can do now is cry. But seriously, I don't know what's important and what's not. I'll take anything. I know average velocity is 1/(b-a) integral of what you're doing but it doesn't make much sense to me to take the integral of that nasty equation so I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a 'nasty' expression. P, n, l and R are constants. It's just a quadratic in r. Really, integrals don't come much easier. Just try it, ok? Split it into (P/(4nl))R^2-(P/(4nl))*r^2. This first term is just a constant and the second one is a constant time r^2. Oh, and use more parentheses. P/4nl could mean (P/4)*nl, (P/(4n))*l etc etc. They aren't the same.

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    GOT IT! Thanks.

5. Jan 25, 2011 #4
    For the second part of the problem how do you get the ratio? or find the max velocity to make the ratio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook