Average Velocity and Average Speed of Integral

In summary, the average velocity of an object moving with velocity v(t) = -t^2 + 1 feet per second between t = 0 and t = 2 is found to be -1/3 feet per second. To find the average speed, we must calculate the total distance traveled between t = 0 and t = 2 and divide it by the time interval. This can be done by evaluating the integral without the averaging factor (1/(b-a)) which results in a total distance of 2/3 feet. Dividing this by the time interval (2 seconds) gives us an average speed of 1/3 feet per second.
Ocasta

Homework Statement

An object moves with velocity v(t) = −t2 +1 feet per second between t = 0 and t = 2. Find the average velocity and the average speed of the object between t = 0 and t = 2

Homework Equations

[itex]
\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b f'(x) dx
[/itex]

avg value of a function

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
\frac{1}{2-0} \int_0^2 [-t^2 + 1] dt
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{2} [- \frac{t^3}{3} + t]_0^2
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{2} [- \frac{8}{3} + \frac{6}{3}]
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{2} [- \frac{2}{3}]
[/itex]

[itex]
[- \frac{1}{3}]
[/itex]

So I've got the average velocity down, but I don't see how they want me to come up with the average speed. I know that speed and velocity are similar, but speed has no direction.

The book (http://www.whitman.edu/mathematics/multivariable/" ) Instructed me to evaluate the integral without the averaging [itex]\frac{1}{b-a}[/itex], but I ended up with:

[itex]
- \frac{2}{3}
[/itex]

But according to the solutions manual, the answer is 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Average Speed is
[tex]\frac{\text{total distance traveled}}{\text{time}}[/tex],

see this thread for a thorough discussion:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=133408

What happens here is within the first second the object is moving with a positive velocity, but slowing down. Then, at t=1, it stops, and proceeds to move in reverse. Because you have a simple function, you should see an easy way to get the total distance here.

process91 said:
The Average Speed is
[tex]\frac{\text{total distance traveled}}{\text{time}}[/tex]

th_smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

I should have had that on the top of my head! Duh!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. It takes into account the direction of the object's motion. Average speed, on the other hand, is the total distance traveled divided by the time taken. It does not consider the direction of motion.

How do you calculate average velocity and average speed?

The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, while the formula for average speed is total distance traveled divided by time. In both cases, the unit of measurement is typically meters per second (m/s).

Why are average velocity and average speed important in integral calculus?

Average velocity and average speed are important concepts in integral calculus because they help us understand how values change over a period of time. By calculating the average velocity or speed of an object, we can determine its overall movement and track changes in its position over time.

Can average velocity and average speed be negative?

Yes, both average velocity and average speed can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right and the object is moving to the left, the velocity and speed would both be negative.

What are some real-life applications of average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the average speed of a car during a road trip, determining the average velocity of a rocket during takeoff, or finding the average speed of a runner during a race. These concepts are also important in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports science.