1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avoiding hotspots in a microwave oven.

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our Panasonic has finally given up the ghost, with a broken internal door catch mechanism. I have a go at most things but I really believe this one is not 'user serviceable' (:cry:)
    Time for a new one and I can see advantages in using a flat bed model. We had one without a turntable, several years ago and there were definite problems with hot spots. The recently defunct one was very good (using chaos defrosting, which was also very clever and effective). There is a new generation of what they now call 'flat bed' technology. Does anyone know how the 'mode stirring' is achieved these days - is it different from the rotating paddle in the roof that our old one had?
    Is it any more effective and why?
    I need to order something fairly quickly as my morning porridge is a regular treat. I should appreciate some background expertise on this, guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2
    I think, at least in some models, the antenna itself is rotating. Whether that is better or not, I don't know - still using a turntable variant here. Though it seems that these models are very hit or miss, so make sure to read the reviews on that specific microwave first.

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I make my morning oatmeal in boiling water on the stove for one minute.

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Four minutes on Medium for me. We get very set in our ways.

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5
    Recycle.
    The transformer makes a great paperweight, and I do mean "great'.
    The magnets are perfect for keeping notes attached to the fridge.
    And that whatchamacallit thing for making the cooking rays is a neat looking minature futuristic space ship.
    Years ago I sawed one in half to see what's inside and and mysteriously found nothing there.

7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes. The magnet!!! I salvage them from hard drives but forgot about the magnetron.
    I may use the transformer to put in a guest's suitcase and see if they notice. :smile:

8. Mar 3, 2014 #7
    :laugh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook