Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avoiding hotspots in a microwave oven.

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our Panasonic has finally given up the ghost, with a broken internal door catch mechanism. I have a go at most things but I really believe this one is not 'user serviceable' (:cry:)
    Time for a new one and I can see advantages in using a flat bed model. We had one without a turntable, several years ago and there were definite problems with hot spots. The recently defunct one was very good (using chaos defrosting, which was also very clever and effective). There is a new generation of what they now call 'flat bed' technology. Does anyone know how the 'mode stirring' is achieved these days - is it different from the rotating paddle in the roof that our old one had?
    Is it any more effective and why?
    I need to order something fairly quickly as my morning porridge is a regular treat. I should appreciate some background expertise on this, guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2
    I think, at least in some models, the antenna itself is rotating. Whether that is better or not, I don't know - still using a turntable variant here. Though it seems that these models are very hit or miss, so make sure to read the reviews on that specific microwave first.

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I make my morning oatmeal in boiling water on the stove for one minute.

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Four minutes on Medium for me. We get very set in our ways.

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5
    Recycle.
    The transformer makes a great paperweight, and I do mean "great'.
    The magnets are perfect for keeping notes attached to the fridge.
    And that whatchamacallit thing for making the cooking rays is a neat looking minature futuristic space ship.
    Years ago I sawed one in half to see what's inside and and mysteriously found nothing there.

7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes. The magnet!!! I salvage them from hard drives but forgot about the magnetron.
    I may use the transformer to put in a guest's suitcase and see if they notice. :smile:

8. Mar 3, 2014 #7
    :laugh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook