AVR fault possible? Can you help?

• Thread starter edina1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault
In summary, The speaker is experiencing voltage problems with their alternator, which is rated for 1MW. After installing a new avr, the voltage is now running at 400v correctly. However, when a small load of 50kw is applied, the voltage drops significantly. They have checked the exciter and connections to and from the avr, but are still experiencing a drop in voltage. They are seeking any ideas or suggestions for a solution.
edina1
AVR fault possible?? Can you help?

Hi there and hello to ALL,

First post and greatfull for any help.

I've got an alternator suffreing voltage problems. To start with the voltage droped off to 360v when carring a small load of 17kw. New avr fitted and now running at 400v correctly.
The alternator is rated for 1MW.
Now when a small load of 50kw is applied via a load bank the voltage drops dramatically (not hunting).
We've checked the exciter (diodes, surge suppressors) and all is well and all connections to and from the avr are ok. We've run the thing solely on the avr, disconnecting a var. comp. and the pf correction unit yet we are still experiencing a drop in voltage.

Does anyone have any idea, please?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Has the voltage roll-off point been set at all? Have you tried adjusting it?

Thank you for reaching out for help with your alternator voltage problems. It sounds like you have already taken some important steps in troubleshooting the issue, such as checking the exciter and connections to the AVR. However, there could be a number of potential causes for the voltage drop you are experiencing, and it may require further testing and analysis to determine the exact fault.

Some possible causes could include a faulty voltage regulator, problems with the alternator windings or connections, or issues with the load bank itself. It may also be helpful to gather more data on the voltage drop, such as the frequency and duration, to better understand the pattern and potential source of the issue.

If you have access to a team of engineers or technicians, it may be beneficial to involve them in the troubleshooting process to gather more expertise and insights. Additionally, consulting with the manufacturer of the alternator or AVR may also provide valuable information and support.

I hope this helps and wish you success in resolving the AVR fault. Don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance.

1. What is an AVR fault?

An AVR fault is an event that occurs in an automatic voltage regulator (AVR) system, which is responsible for regulating and stabilizing the output voltage of a power source. This fault can be caused by various factors, such as overvoltage, undervoltage, or a malfunction in the AVR system itself.

2. How do I know if there is an AVR fault?

The most common way to detect an AVR fault is through an alarm or warning indicator on the AVR system itself. This could be a visual indicator, such as a light or LED, or an audible alarm. You can also check the system logs or use diagnostic tools to identify any AVR faults.

3. What are the possible consequences of an AVR fault?

An AVR fault can lead to a variety of consequences, depending on the severity and duration of the fault. In some cases, it may cause damage to the equipment connected to the power source, as the output voltage may become too high or too low. In other cases, it may result in power outages or instability in the power supply.

4. How can I prevent AVR faults?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent AVR faults, such as regular maintenance and inspection of the AVR system, ensuring proper grounding and wiring, and using surge protectors or voltage regulators. It is also important to monitor the system for any warning signs or abnormal readings that may indicate a potential AVR fault.

5. Can I fix an AVR fault on my own?

In most cases, it is not recommended to try and fix an AVR fault on your own unless you have the necessary expertise and knowledge. It is best to contact a trained professional or the manufacturer of the AVR system for assistance. Attempting to fix an AVR fault without proper knowledge and tools can be dangerous and may cause further damage to the system.