Axiom of Choice: Disjoint Family ##\Rightarrow ## Power Set

In summary, the author of the proof used a trick to derive a power set form for a set which does not have a power set form. This trick is valid, as it is a defined family.
Terrell
So apparently the proof involves a trick that converts the problem of a general power set ##\mathscr{P}(M)## of some set ##M## which has of course the property of not having pairwise disjoint set-elements to a problem that involves disjoint set-elements. I do not understand why this trick is valid because I think by doing so, we are then "re-proving" the case where the set-elements are disjoint.
AoC2.png

AoC.png

Attachments

• AoC.png
    AoC.png
    59 KB · Views: 666
  • AoC2.png
    AoC2.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would have been helpful to know the precise wording of all three versions, for otherwise we can only guess.

Now, what if the author wouldn't have called it a trick and simply defined the family ##\mathcal{F}##? Would you still ask, if this is a valid family in the sense of the theorem?

fresh_42 said:
It would have been helpful to know the precise wording of all three versions, for otherwise we can only guess.
let me put it up in a minute.

fresh_42 said:
Would you still ask, if this is a valid family in the sense of the theorem?
I would think so since it is a defined family ##\mathscr{F}## then it would not be an arbitrary family..?

Last edited:
I don't see that an arbitrary family is needed. We need an arbitrary power set, which we have. Then we apply the disjoint version on ##\mathscr{F}##, for which we do not need arbitrariness. And finally we turn back on what it means for ##\mathscr{P}(M)##.

fresh_42 said:
Then we apply the disjoint version on F
So the defined ##\mathscr{F}## is the disjoint version of ##\mathscr{P}(M)##?

As far as I can understand, not knowing the precise definitions of either of them. The structure is as follows:
  • To be proven: power set form
  • given: any (arbitrary) power set ##\mathscr{P}(M)##
  • given disjoint family form is true for any disjoint family
  • define ##\mathscr{F}##
  • apply disjoint family form on ##\mathscr{F}##: as it is valid for all families of disjoint sets, it is also valid for ##\mathscr{F}##
  • deduce power set form for ##\mathscr{P}(M)##

Likes Terrell
fresh_42 said:
  • define ##\mathscr{F}##
  • apply disjoint family form on ##\mathscr{F}##: as it is valid for all families of disjoint sets, it is also valid for ##\mathscr{F}##
  • deduce power set form for ##\mathscr{P}(M)##
So this "trick" is a set up so that we can formally deduce the power set form. Correct? I guess, I got so fixated in the "jump" in logic as to how the author of the proof have derived the "trick".

Terrell said:
So this "trick" is a set up so that we can formally deduce the power set form. Correct?
Yes. The trick is, that we can only apply the disjoint family form, so we define ##\mathscr{F}## and make it applicable. We then still have to prove the power set form from that.

Likes Terrell
A bit unrelated. Do you think this trick could have been derived by working backwards? Anyway, thank you!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by backwards. It's more like "If you are not willing, then I need violence". One can ask: If I only may apply disjoint, but my power set isn't, how can I make it fit? Don't know, whether this can be called backwards, but it is what's going on.

Likes Terrell

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a mathematical principle that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set simultaneously.

2. What is a disjoint family?

A disjoint family is a collection of sets that do not share any common elements. In other words, the intersection of any two sets in the family is an empty set.

3. How does the Axiom of Choice relate to a disjoint family?

The Axiom of Choice can be used to choose one element from each set in a disjoint family, creating a new set that contains those chosen elements. This new set is known as a choice set.

4. What is the significance of the Axiom of Choice in mathematics?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in mathematics and is used in many areas of the subject, including set theory, topology, and functional analysis. It allows for the creation of new sets that may not be constructible using other mathematical tools.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Axiom of Choice?

Yes, there have been debates and controversies surrounding the Axiom of Choice since its introduction in the late 19th century. Some mathematicians have questioned its validity and implications, while others see it as an essential tool in mathematics.