Axis of Rotation - Find Solution

In summary: But I am not sure how it would give me the axis of rotation.In summary, the given rotation matrix has eigenvalues of 1 and corresponding eigenvectors of |1>, |2>, and |3>, indicating that these vectors are not rotated or have their magnitude changed. The axis of rotation can be found by solving the equation 0 0 1 x + 1 0 0 y + 0 1 0 z = λ(x,y,z) which results in the solution of |1>+|2>+|3>/(3^0.5) as the axis of rotation.
rsaad

Homework Statement

consider the following rotation matrix:

0 0 1
1 0 0
0 1 0

Find the axis of rotation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the following:

Ω|1> = |2>
Ω|2> = |3>
Ω|3> = |1>

where Ω is an operator.

It is a cyclic permutation. What do not understand is how the rotation axis is |1>+|2>+|3>/(3^0.5)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try finding the eigenvectors of Ω.

Hello Rsaad,

A rotation along an axis doesn't change the axis itself.

Besides the obvious [itex]\left ( 0,0,0 \right )[/itex], do you see another vector that would satisfy

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
0&0&1\\
1&0&0\\
0&1&0
\end{pmatrix}
\cdot \vec{v} = \lambda.\vec{v}[/itex]​

As Vela suggested, this will give you the eigenvalues and eigenvectors or your matrix, the latter being the vectors whose magnitude is changed by the linear application.

I get λ=1 and indeed I get the rotation vector as stated in the question, but tell me why would an eigenvalue of the rotation matrix give me the axis of rotation? Is it because eigen values tell us how much a system is dependent on the variables in the system. So in this particular case I have 1,2,3 as the basis and the λ would give me the dependence of the rotation matrix on the basis! right?

Rsaad,

[itex]\lambda=1[/itex] means that the corresponding eigenvector is left unchanged: it is not rotated nor does its magnitude change.

Have you read the link to the wiki page I posted?

Yes, I understand that and yes I had a look at that page.

Related to Axis of Rotation - Find Solution

1. What is the axis of rotation?

The axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which an object rotates. It is the line that passes through the center of mass of the object and remains fixed in space while the object rotates.

2. How do you find the axis of rotation?

To find the axis of rotation, you can use a method called the right-hand rule. First, extend your right hand with your thumb pointing in the direction of the rotational motion. Then, curl your fingers towards the rotation and the axis of rotation will be perpendicular to your hand.

3. What is the importance of the axis of rotation in physics?

The axis of rotation is important in physics because it helps us understand the movement and stability of objects in motion. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as angular velocity, torque, and angular momentum.

4. Can the axis of rotation change?

Yes, the axis of rotation can change depending on the forces acting on an object. For example, if an external force is applied to an object, the axis of rotation may shift or the object may start rotating around a different axis.

5. How does the axis of rotation relate to the center of mass?

The axis of rotation and the center of mass are closely related. The axis of rotation passes through the center of mass, which is the point where the mass of an object is concentrated. This means that the object will rotate as if all its mass is located at the center of mass.