Exploring the Value of Dual BA Programs in Math & Physics

In summary: My undergraduate degree in math from the same school was not nearly as impressive. I got in to one Ph.D. program in math, but didn't bother to apply to any other programs.
Pikas
Hi all,
Here is my story. My school offers BA and BS for both physics and math. I am currently a junior in the BS programs for both physics and math. The only difference between the two are merely the language courses verses the two science and society courses (S&SC). I have been told about the non-existing value of the S&SC, so instead of getting two BS's, I plan to not take the two S&SC courses and get a BA. If so, I will use the extra hours to take two more math or physics graduate courses before graduation.
I went to my the math department adviser the other day and asked about this. He bluntly told me that during the process of filtering applications for the PhD program, the BA applications fall out first without even being looked at. I thought he was exaggerating the details, but he really tried to emphasize that what he said is fact (?!) and that it is what he was told from the "higher people".
That is the end of the story. Regardless, I still do not want to spend time taking courses that will not be much useful to me, so the two BA's are preferable, at least to me. For the past three years, I have managed to be at the top of most of the courses that I have taken, done a decent amount of outreach activity and leadership, and I am working hard on my current research to gain some more experience. Therefore, I do not want my application to not be considered because of such a "minor" detail.
I would really appreciate if anyone could offer their experience and knowledge on the topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two kinds of math bachelors. One is preparation for grad school, and the other is substantially less rigorous, and sends people off to business or to teach high school. Many schools offer only the second kind. Some who offer both call one BS and the other BA. Some don't.

Math grad schools do not like admitting people with the second kind of degree, because the students are unprepared. Sometimes a BA is a tip-off to that. But math is not physics. Physics degrees don't draw this distinction.

Likes Pikas
My physics undergraduate degree is a BA from a small liberal-arts college. I was accepted to all four grad schools that I applied to, and ended up going to U of Michigan for my Ph.D.

Likes Pikas

1. What is a dual BA program in Math & Physics?

A dual BA program in Math & Physics is an undergraduate program that allows students to earn two Bachelor of Arts degrees simultaneously in the fields of mathematics and physics. This program typically takes four years to complete and provides students with a strong foundation in both disciplines.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual BA program in Math & Physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual BA program in Math & Physics. Firstly, it allows students to gain a comprehensive understanding of both subjects, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities. Additionally, it can save time and money by completing two degrees in a shorter amount of time. This program also provides a diverse set of skills and knowledge that can be applied to various industries.

3. Is a dual BA program in Math & Physics a good choice for students who are interested in both subjects?

Yes, a dual BA program in Math & Physics is an excellent choice for students who have a strong interest in both subjects. This program offers a unique opportunity to gain a deep understanding of both mathematics and physics, which can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and data analysis.

4. Are there any specific requirements for admissions into a dual BA program in Math & Physics?

The specific requirements for admissions into a dual BA program in Math & Physics may vary depending on the university. However, most programs require students to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as meet the general admissions requirements for the university. Some programs may also require students to submit additional materials, such as essays or letters of recommendation.

5. Can students pursue a dual BA program in Math & Physics at any university?

No, not all universities offer a dual BA program in Math & Physics. It is important to research and find universities that offer this program and meet your academic and career goals. Additionally, some universities may have specific partnerships or agreements with other institutions for this program, so it is essential to carefully review the program details and requirements before applying.