BA vs BSc in Physics: Pros & Cons

In summary, the conversation discusses the option of switching from a Bsc physics degree to a regular BA in order to avoid taking chemistry courses. The speaker is unsure about the potential drawbacks of graduating with a BA instead of a Bsc. They also question if changing degrees will affect the number and content of physics courses they will complete. The conversation mentions that some chemistry knowledge is necessary for a good understanding of physics, and that both subjects have some overlap. Additionally, it is noted that both degrees require at least one year of general chemistry.
ilii
Hello,

I will be entering my first year as a Bsc physics student in January. I am wondering if I should switch to a regular BA to avoid a few chemistry courses I will need to take that come along with enrolling in a Bsc degree program. I have no interest in chemistry or anything other than maths/physics/CS at the moment.

I am not sure if making this switch is a good idea. What will some of the drawbacks be if I graduate with only a BS in physics instead of a Bsc?

Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
Would changing degrees make any difference in the number and content of the physics courses that you actually complete?

Which courses are required for the BA? Which courses are required for the BSc?

Some chemistry knowledge is needed for a good understanding of Physics - not much, but some; and Chemistry and Physics overlap, although have greatly different study goals. Undergraduate Physics degree of any or either kind will require at least one year of "General Chemistry".

1. What is the main difference between a BA and a BSc in Physics?

The main difference between a BA and a BSc in Physics is the focus of the coursework. A BA in Physics typically has a broader focus, incorporating a liberal arts education with a concentration in physics. On the other hand, a BSc in Physics has a more specialized focus on the scientific and mathematical aspects of the field.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in research?

Both a BA and a BSc in Physics can lead to a career in research, but a BSc may be more advantageous as it provides a stronger foundation in scientific principles and research methods.

3. What are the advantages of pursuing a BA in Physics?

Some advantages of pursuing a BA in Physics include a well-rounded education, the opportunity to explore other subjects and interests, and the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to various fields.

4. What are the advantages of pursuing a BSc in Physics?

A BSc in Physics offers a more specialized education in the field, preparing students for careers in scientific research and technical fields. It also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. Can I switch between a BA and a BSc in Physics?

It is possible to switch between a BA and a BSc in Physics, but it may require additional coursework and may extend the time it takes to complete your degree. It is important to carefully consider your career goals and interests before making a decision between the two degrees.