1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelor of Applied Sciences? Bachelor of Engineering?

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    What are the differences, if there are any, between these degrees?

By differences what I mean is what classes are different in obtaining one from the other? Why do some universities give one and not the other? What possible drawbacks are there between each degree in terms of future employment and academic endeavours?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The answer to this question really depends on where you are studying. I live in Canada, and in Canadian universities the engineering programs typically offer either a Bachelor of Applied Sciences degree or a Bachelor of Engineering degree (not both). Therefore, the two degrees are for all intents and purposes completely equivalent, and there is no difference in the content of the degree programs.

The situation can differ, however, for Masters degrees. In some universities a Master of Applied Sciences (MASc) degree is offered that is more research-intensive and is intended to prepare the student for further graduate studies, whereas a Master of Engineering (MEng) degree is more project-based and intended for those seeking a professional Masters program. In other universities, both research-based and project-based degrees are called either MAsc or MEng, but there is an additional designation indicating the type of Masters.

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    Yes, I live in Canada; I should've specified.

UBC only has an applied sciences bachelor degree but U Alberta has engineering bachelor degree. I haven't looked at other universities but, going by what you said, they either have one or the other most of the time then?

So there's no difference at the undergraduate level?

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    Yeah, they are effectively the same thing. They both will count towards becoming a Professional Engineer equally. I believe Queens also has a faculty of applied sciences, rather than engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook