Horrors of the Movie Theater: 2020 Edition

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the original pulse was much better but this year's movies have all sucked. The scary movie 4 was hilarious, but don't watch Miami Vice, it's weak. Time Bandits is one of my favorite movies, and House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark also deserve to be in this thread. However, the Da Vinci code helped kill Franzbear. Evo, where is Franzbear? Time Bandits is one of my favorite movies, but it's bad.
I think the problem is that most movies these days are made by/for people that are stupid.

I have not seen a truly 'good' movie in years. Now that I have a dvd player I am going to go to blockbuster and rent some foreign films. At least foreign films do not insult the viewer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mattara said:
Time Bandits. Now that is a bad movie.
You can be banned for that, it's my FAVORITE movie! :mad: That is as good or better than the Holy Grail.

The holy grail WAS NOT FUNNY

psychoticbunny5ew.jpg

This harmless little bunny disagrees.

That movie was boring...

the humor was lame

don't ban me tho, k?

yomamma said:
That movie was boring...

the humor was lame

don't ban me tho, k?
Have you watched Time Bandits?

no...it sounds kinda lame though..

All horror movies that aren't rated R. Well, at least all the recent ones, with the kids, who are supposed to be scary, and stuff.

There are some pretty crappy R-rated horror movies..

(Hostel)

yomamma said:
no...it sounds kinda lame though..
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/

" In the end, though, it was something that I find far, far too rarely in movies now and before, and it occurred to me after I had seen, of all things, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". What Ang Lee's film had in common with Gilliam is simply this: they both had the feel of a great big story that you came in the middle of, and you didn't want ever to end, but it didn't matter, because the structure was such that you had enough to digest for now. And I can count on less than two hands the movies where I was left with THAT wonderful feeling. "

It's an awesome movie, watch it.

What about Princess Bride?

When a stranger calls (remake) was bad

And Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is on...I don't understand it at all...it's sooooo laaaameeee

Last edited:
Evo said:
You can be banned for that, it's my FAVORITE movie! :mad: That is as good or better than the Holy Grail.

What is so good with little dwarves stealing something from God, randomly visits a boy, takes to boy on weird things, ends up in hell, only to discover that it was a set-up/joke by God?

Remember that Time Bandits was produced at the same time as Star Wars. Gives you some perspecitive doesn't it? :rofl: :tongue2:

yomamma said:
When a stranger calls (remake) was bad

And Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is on...I don't understand it at all...it's sooooo laaaameeee

What movies do you find amusing? Perhaps you have an unusual sense of humour. I will admit though not everyone gets Monty Python.

/Begin Shameless toadying

Oh your so spot on there Evo

I think Time bandits was the perfect kids movie, it had that sense of wonder and majesty a good film leaves you with I quite agree.

The holy grail is sublimely ludicrous, in ways I can't even express but thaz no ordinary rabbit! That Rabbits dynamite!

The princess bride is so tongue in cheek:smile:. Love the sword fight, got to be one of the most sublimely executed fights in screen history. And the poison scene with the evil prince(duke?) is a superb bit of timed comedy.

Fantastic movies all

/End Shameless Toadying

Last edited:
The princess bride is so tongue in cheek. Love the sword fight, got to be one of the most sublimely executed fights in screen history.
Totally agree.
This movie is on my top 10 list. IMO, if you catch a movie on Saturday afternoon TV, and you'll "just watch this next great scene" and you find you say that so many times that now the credits are rolling - that's a classic.

And Best. Swordfight. Ever.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
This was Keanu Reeves' crowning role. I rued the day he went for serious roles.

I think Time bandits was the perfect kids movie, it had that sense of wonder and majesty a good film leaves you with I quite agree.
And I want that map for my wall!

that movie i mean "What's eating Gilbert grapes" was really bad...that fat mom in it was a nightmare!

Mattara said:
What is so good with little dwarves stealing something from God, randomly visits a boy, takes to boy on weird things, ends up in hell, only to discover that it was a set-up/joke by God?

Remember that Time Bandits was produced at the same time as Star Wars. Gives you some perspecitive doesn't it? :rofl: :tongue2:
The movie is a great movie, and you seem to be confusing 1977 with 1981.

Time Bandits was very funny, so was The Holy Grail.
The Princess Bride is some of the greates satire Iv'e ever seen(Wallace Shawn Rules!) That is a movie I'll watch again and again (Pirates of The Caribbeanis also).

THe list of crappy movies could go on forever. THere's too many to mention. I'll go out on a limb here and say with the rare exception, most sequals and remakes suck.

I did however like both Italain Job movies and both Oceans Eleven movies. Both Thomas Crown Affairs were good too.

Pearl Harbour? oh you mean Ben Affleck saves the world?

Francis M said:
Time Bandits was very funny, so was The Holy Grail.
The Princess Bride is some of the greates satire Iv'e ever seen(Wallace Shawn Rules!) That is a movie I'll watch again and again (Pirates of The Caribbeanis also).

THe list of crappy movies could go on forever. THere's too many to mention. I'll go out on a limb here and say with the rare exception, most sequals and remakes suck.

I did however like both Italain Job movies and both Oceans Eleven movies. Both Thomas Crown Affairs were good too.

Pearl Harbour? oh you mean Ben Affleck saves the world?

There's a second italian job?

The italian job was a remake

yomamma said:
That movie was boring...

the humor was lame

don't ban me tho, k?
Admit it. You don't understand the jokes. It's OK.

Such complex jokes as "What is your favorite color?" and that stupid rabbit

Blue...no RED! AAAAAAGH!

Evo said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/
What about Princess Bride?
One of the best movies of all time. I have seen it probably once a year since it came out. It is tremendously entertaining, with action, subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) humor, interesting plot twists, and best of all, you can watch it with kids and you will all enjoy it.

I walked out on Pirates of the Carribean II: Dead Man's Chest. The beginning had lost most of the tongue in cheek humor of the first (and the first was only OK). Only other movie I've ever walked out on was Mafia (the low point in the Zucker Bros. career). Other notable (or rather, not so notable) crappy movies.

Anaconda...Somewhere in the jungle, there's a giant <insert male body part> shaped snake, and only Jennifer Lopez's erect <insert female chest area body parts> can stop it!

Passion of the Christ...Possibly a training film for CIA black ops camps?

Reign of Fire...the presence of Christian Bale made this movie tolerable.

and I'll probably get booed for this, but

Godfather 1, 2 and 3. Or maybe I just don't get them. I certainly can't understand the appeal of The Sopranos.

FredGarvin said:
Blue...no RED! AAAAAAGH!
Fiend! The actual line is...
Blue...no, YELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW...

yomamma said:
I went to see pulse in theaters today, someo of the worst acting I have ever seen...The priginal was 100x better

then again, most movies this year have sucked unimaginably...:frown: (date movie, scary movie 4, etc.)

I have also recenty come across cheerleader ninjas, don't watch that movie, it sucks

i haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been mentioned already, but you should check out "A Scanner Darkly"

I saw it in theatres just a few weeks ago, and its the first movie in a long time that I thought was truly artistic.

On the lighter side Clerks 2 and The Ballad of Ricky Bobby are both absolutely hilarious =)

slugcountry said:
On the lighter side Clerks 2 and The Ballad of Ricky Bobby are both absolutely hilarious =)

Yikes, if you put the two of those in the same sentence, that changes my thoughts about seeing Clerks 2. I can't even stand the trailer for Ricky Bobby.

^true

I saw A Scanner Darkly a few weeks ago, very good movie.

Worst movie I've ever seen: Six Days, Seven Nights. It was boring, formulaic, and cheesy. Any one of those things by themselves can work in some contexts, but together they make for a very painful viewing experience.

Worst movie I've never seen: Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows. That anyone would think of making a Hollywood sequel to this movie is a testament to how stupid they really think we are. It's like they totally misunderstood the appeal of the first movie.

I liked a lot of the movies mentioned in this thread, though. How anyone could dislike Monty Python and the Holy Grail is beyond me.

Last edited:
daveb said:
Fiend! The actual line is...
Blue...no, YELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW...
I stand corrected. You are correct sir.

What about those video game to movie movies?
Almost all of them sucked...

And what about TKC the movie which will be comming out this summer.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=63689&page=698
btw for some reason I think it might be possible for this thread to evole into a franzbear...There disscussion in TKC about bad movies every once in a while and this thread is about that.

Oh yeah, I just remembered the dungeons and dragons movie, my firsd made me watch it because he thought it was so cool...I punched him in the face

SpaceTiger said:
I liked a lot of the movies mentioned in this thread, though. How anyone could dislike Monty Python and the Holy Grail is beyond me.
'Tis a mystery! I had taped "The Life of Brian" and loaned the tape to friends, and was shocked that some of them thought the movie stunk. It is one of the best things that the Pythons have ever done. It's not quite up there with "Blazing Saddles" or the sublime "The Bank Dick" IMO, but it's pretty close. If you have never seen "The Bank Dick" with WC Fields and Shemp Howard, you're in for a treat.

It is but a flesh wound.