1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing torques, static equalibrium

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform rod of mass M sticks out from a vertical wall and points toward teh floor. If the smaller angle it makes with the wall is theta, and its far end is attached to teh ceiling by a string parallel to the wall, find the tension in the supporting string.

2. Relevant equations
    ok I know that this involves balancing torques and the object is in static equalibrium.
    this is a MCAt style question so I'm giving multiple choice answers, I know the answer to the question, but I wasn't sure how it was derived.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that my downward torque based on the rod is (L/2)Mg sin theta. since net torque is 0, the CCW torque must balance the CW torque, but how does this make T = mg/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi BU2009 and welcome to PF,

Your downward torque is correct. Now consider your upward torque, provided by the tension. At what [perpendicular] distance does this tension act from the pivot (wall)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?