Ball rolling down a frictionless plane?

In summary, under all ordinary conditions, a ball released from rest will start rolling down a frictionless inclined plane.
physics_liker
1. Under all ordinary conditions, would a ball released from rest start rolling down a frictionless inclined plane with just the force of gravity pulling it down? Or is it really just going to slide down?

Now let's suppose a gigantic ball released on the slope of an enormous frictionless inclined plane, so that the gravitational force varies considerably from the bottom to the top of the ball? What would happen? Would the ball then start rolling?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is yes - now have you learned anything ?
Perhaps you could draw a diagram of the forces and see if that helps?

I am sorry. Can you be more specific as to which answer you responded yes? I had two situations. I only want to hear what others think so that I can verify my own answers. Thank you for responding.

When you posted the question you deleted a template stating that you have to show your attempt. You can google the answer (it's a well known example) the point here is to learn something.

Your second part- no - there is a general principle of gravity that you can replace any object with a point mass at it's centre and have the same effect. So the difference in gravity between the top and bottom of a ball wouldn't matter

physics_liker said:
1. Under all ordinary conditions, would a ball released from rest start rolling down a frictionless inclined plane with just the force of gravity pulling it down? Or is it really just going to slide down?
What's required to make a ball roll instead of just slide?

First I thank your responses. To mgb_phys: I have googled this answer for lots of times; the only satisfactory answer came from wikianswers. I only wanted to make sure this is really the case. To Doc Al: Friction.

I guess I am going to think about this problem a bit more.

physics_liker said:
To Doc Al: Friction.
This is true, so that should answer your question.
I guess I am going to think about this problem a bit more.
You never said what you thought the answer was or why. :wink:

1. What is a frictionless plane?

A frictionless plane is a theoretical surface that does not have any resistance or friction when an object moves along it. In reality, it is impossible to achieve a completely frictionless surface, but it is often used in scientific experiments to simplify calculations and understand the effects of other forces on an object.

2. What is the force that causes a ball to roll down a frictionless plane?

The force that causes a ball to roll down a frictionless plane is the force of gravity. This force pulls the ball towards the center of the Earth, causing it to accelerate down the incline.

3. How does the angle of the plane affect the speed of the ball?

The angle of the plane, also known as the incline or slope, directly affects the speed of the ball. The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will accelerate and roll down the plane. This is because the force of gravity has a greater component parallel to the incline, causing the ball to accelerate faster.

4. Does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration down the plane?

No, the mass of the ball does not affect its acceleration down a frictionless plane. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force of gravity is the same for all objects, the mass of the ball does not play a role in its acceleration down the plane.

5. What other factors may affect the motion of a ball rolling down a frictionless plane?

Other factors that may affect the motion of a ball rolling down a frictionless plane include air resistance, the shape and size of the ball, and external forces such as a push or pull. These factors may alter the speed and direction of the ball, but they do not affect the basic principles of the ball rolling down a frictionless plane.