Balmer Lines in Quantum Physics

In summary, Balmer Lines are transitions between energy levels in a hydrogen-like atom, with the red Balmer Lines specifically referring to the emission of a photon from the n=3 energy level. For deuterium, the same quantum numbers apply but with a different reduced mass. The equation for the energy levels is not -R/n^2, but rather - (mu/2hbar^2) * (Ze^2/4*pi*epsilon_0)^2 * (1/n^2), where mu is the reduced mass and Z is the charge of the nucleus. The equation for the wavelength of the emitted photon can be derived from the equation for energy levels. The R value for a nucleus can be written as R =
doubleB
Hi again,
Could someone explain a tiny bit about Balmer Lines to me?
If I was asked what is the difference between the red Balmer Lines in Hydrogen and Deuterium, where would I begin?
How do I know which energy level the electrons are in?
If it's a red Balmer Line then I guess n = 2 for Hydrogen; but what does it equal for Deuterium?
Also if [ En = -R / n squared ] then why is this true:

1 / wavelength = exactly the same thing ?

Thank you to anyone who can help,

DoubleB

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to say "red alpha Balmer Lines".

doubleB said:
Hi again,
Could someone explain a tiny bit about Balmer Lines to me?
If I was asked what is the difference between the red Balmer Lines in Hydrogen and Deuterium, where would I begin?
How do I know which energy level the electrons are in?
If it's a red Balmer Line then I guess n = 2 for Hydrogen; but what does it equal for Deuterium?
Also if [ En = -R / n squared ] then why is this true:

1 / wavelength = exactly the same thing ?

Thank you to anyone who can help,

DoubleB

A given transition line is specified by providing *two* principal quantum numbers, [itex] n_i [/itex] and [itex] n_f [/itex]. It also depends if we are talking about an emission spectrum or an absorption spectrum. For an emission Balmer line, one has [itex] n_f =2[/itex] , [itex] n_i = 3,4,5...[/itex]. For the red line, [itex] n_i = 3 [/itex].

For deuterium, the red Balmer line corresponds to the *same* quantum numbers! The only thing that changes is the reduced mass in the equation fo the energy.

the equation for the inverse of the wavelength of the emitted photon is
[itex] {1 \over \lambda} = R ( { 1 \over n_f^2 } - {1 \over n_i^2}) [/tex]

but the equation for the *energy* is NOT R over n squared!

Patrick

Thank you, I looked around some more and saw that when they say the 'Red Balmer Lines' that is like saying the 'H-alpha Balmer Lines'.
The only thing I'm very unsure about is that in my notes it says: En = -R / n2
This formula is right isn't it?
This is confusing me a lot...

doubleB said:
Thank you, I looked around some more and saw that when they say the 'Red Balmer Lines' that is like saying the 'H-alpha Balmer Lines'.
The only thing I'm very unsure about is that in my notes it says: En = -R / n2
This formula is right isn't it?
This is confusing me a lot...
It's incorrect.

[tex] R = {\mu \over 4 \pi c \hbar^3} ({e^2 \over 4 \pi \epsilon_0})^2 [/tex]
where mu is the reduced mass (which is *slightly* different for deuterium and for hydrogen).

whereas the energy levels of a hydrogen-like atom (one electron orbiting a central charge Ze) is

[tex] - { \mu \over 2 \hbar^2} ({Z e^2 \over 4 \pi \epsilon_0})^2 {1 \over n^2} [/tex]

With Z=1 and mu the reduced mass of hydrogen, this gives the usual -13.6 eV/n^2. This is NOT -R / n^2!

If you recall that [itex] E = hc/ \lambda = 2 \pi \hbar c / \lambda [/itex] then you will be able to get from the formula for the energy levels to the formula for the wavelength of the emitted photon (try it!). So if you want to write the equation for the enrgy levels in terms of R (for Z=1 let's say) you see that there is a factor of [itex] 2 \pi \hbar c [/itex] that will appear.

Patrick

Last edited:
Oh right. I think the R I'm using is R with a subscript infinity. Does that change anything?

doubleB said:
Oh right. I think the R I'm using is R with a subscript infinity. Does that change anything?
No, I don't think so.

I don't have my quantum mechanics books with me so I am not 100% sure but if I recall correctly, the infinity in [itex] R_\infty [/itex] refers to taking the nucleus mass to infinity. In that case the reduced mass becomes the mass of the electron. So the R value for a nucleus can be written as [tex] R = { \mu \over m_e} R_\infty[/tex].

Again, this is from memory.

Patrick

Related to Balmer Lines in Quantum Physics

1. What are Balmer lines in quantum physics?

Balmer lines are specific wavelengths of light emitted by excited hydrogen atoms as they transition from a higher energy level to a lower one. These lines are a result of the electron moving from the second energy level to the first energy level.

2. Why are Balmer lines important in quantum physics?

Balmer lines were one of the first pieces of evidence supporting the Bohr model of the atom, which proposed that electrons exist in specific energy levels. They also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of atomic structure.

3. How are Balmer lines calculated?

The wavelengths of Balmer lines can be calculated using the Balmer formula, which states that the wavelength is equal to a constant (364.56 nm) divided by the difference in energy levels. This formula was derived from experimental data and has been confirmed through further experiments.

4. Can Balmer lines be observed in other elements besides hydrogen?

No, Balmer lines are specific to hydrogen atoms because they are determined by the energy levels of the electron in a hydrogen atom. Other elements have different energy levels and therefore emit light at different wavelengths.

5. How do Balmer lines relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Balmer lines fall in the visible light range of the electromagnetic spectrum, specifically in the red and blue regions. This means that they can be observed with the naked eye, making them important for studying the properties of light and its interactions with matter.