Dihydrogen Monoxide: The Silent Killer

• Thread starter yourdadonapogostick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of DHMO (dihydrogen monoxide) and its presence in various discussions on a physics forum. It has been brought up multiple times before and there is no law against it, which is considered shocking by some. One person even wrote to their local representative about a tragic incident involving DHMO contamination in a swimming pool.
yourdadonapogostick
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
And still there is no law against it! :devil:

I know, it's shocking. Something really should be done!

write your local congressman!

yourdadonapogostick said:
write your local congressman!

I did, although it was an MP and not a congressman (and I didn't write him, I wrote to him). There had been a horrific incident in my local gym where a swimming pool had been contaminated with DHMO, and a child had been asphyxiated as a result of it.

I never heard back from him, but I believe my local rag ran a story on it the next week.

1. What is Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a chemical compound also known as water (H2O). It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless liquid that is essential for all known forms of life on Earth.

2. Is Dihydrogen Monoxide dangerous?

While DHMO is necessary for life, it can also be harmful in certain situations. In high concentrations, it can cause drowning and damage to the respiratory system. It can also corrode metals and cause electrical hazards. However, in typical household use, DHMO is not considered dangerous.

3. Why is it referred to as "The Silent Killer"?

The term "The Silent Killer" is often used as a satirical reference to DHMO. It is meant to highlight the fact that water (DHMO) can be dangerous in certain circumstances, but it is also essential for life and therefore not often seen as a threat.

4. How can I protect myself from Dihydrogen Monoxide?

The best way to protect yourself from DHMO is to use it responsibly. This means following safety precautions when swimming or using electrical appliances, and being aware of potential hazards in industrial or environmental settings.

5. Is there a way to test for Dihydrogen Monoxide in my home?

Since DHMO is simply another name for water, there is no need to test for it in your home. However, it is always a good idea to regularly test the quality of your drinking water to ensure it is safe for consumption.