1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Band-limited function, Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##\delta## and ##\Omega## are two numbers with ##0 < \frac{\pi}{\Omega} < \delta## find a function ##f\in L^2(\mathbf R )## such that ##\hat f(\omega)=0## for ##|\omega|> \Omega## and ##f(n\delta) = 0## for ##n \in \mathbf Z##, but ##f\ne 0## as an element of ##L^2(\mathbf R )##. This shows that the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance ##\Delta t = \frac{\pi}{\omega_{\max}}## is the largest possible.

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier transform
    ##\frac{\sin ax}{x} \to \pi \mathscr{X}_a(\xi ) =
    \begin{cases}
    \pi \; \; |\xi | < a \\
    0 \; \; |\xi | > a
    \end{cases}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I Choose ##f(t) = \frac{\sin \pi \delta t}{t}## which seems to satisfy all the criteria since
    ##F.T.(\frac{\sin \pi \delta t}{t}) = \pi \mathscr{x}_{\pi /\delta } < \pi \mathscr{x}_{\pi /\Omega }##
    Is this what I was supposed to do in the exercise? There's no answer so I'm not sure I proved everything I should. What does it mean that ##f\ne 0## as an element of ##L^2(\mathbf R )##? That it's not the zero-function?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2
    I assume you meant "##\delta## and ##\Omega## are two numbers...". Shouldn't it be ##f(t) \propto \frac{\sin \pi t/\delta}{t}## ? Even still it fails for ##n=0##. But this could still be the answer they want. Yes, ##f\neq 0 ## means it's not the zero function (which is a trivial solution).

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3
    Yes should've been ##\delta##. Your version of ##f(t)## is of cause equally correct (and more general). Since they only ask me to find a solution I didn't bother with the constant. I think I take your post as confirmation that at least I probably got what the question asked for. I guess there may be a solution with ##f(0)=0## or atl where ##\lim_{x\to 0} f(x) =0## but I think they probably meant except that point.
    I guess I could also choose some function that is zero past a point say ##|x| > a## and get other solutions than trigonometric functions and have convergence even without a ##t## in the denominator but I feel quite happy as it is!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted