Band pass filter and op-amp problem

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to solve an equation for a cutoff frequency for an intergrator, and looking at the right side of the equation, they say that because the circuit must run between 1 and 10kHz, C1 must let through frequencies up to 1kHz. They then use the integrator equation to find C2, which is 3.386E-10 Farads.
FunkyDwarf

Homework Statement

Hey guys, quick EE question for ya.

This is the end of a signals and noise assignment and i think I've got it but I am not sure so i thought id check. Attached is the question, doing the 2nd part of 13

The part that isn't shown that we need is that the band pass is between 1 and 10 kilohertz

Homework Equations

Cutoff frequency for an intergrator= 1/2piRC
Cutoff frequcny for a high pass filter = same

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here's my twisted reasoning. Looking just at the right hand side for a second, C1 is obviously only going to let high freqs through and given that the whole circuit must run between 1 and 10kHz C1 must let through from 1kHz up (i know i haven't talked about Ci but ill get to that in a minute). So viewing the 2nd amp bit as a voltage divider with a bandpass built in i said at high frequencies C2 is going to have, as far as were concerned, infinite impedance as its the low pass bit of the filter. So current flows through C1 then R1 then gets divided across R2. Now i said that we can regard the resistor needed for the equation as simply R2 (although theyre equal anyway) because, i think, you can just put the capacitor infront of R1 and you have a voltage divider just across R2, as R1 won't affect any frequency stuff because its..well a resistor (im not 100% on all of this so forgive any obvious errors i make).

Then using the integrator equation i say that you can, (in the frequency band) assume C1 to be a piece of wire and go abound finding C2 given its the low pass and has to let through up to 10kHz.

So doing all that i get C2 = 3.386E-10 farads and C1 3.386E-9 Farands.

What i DONT get is how Ci and Ri come into it? Surely i can set the capacitance to next to zero and the resistance to nearly infinity and be done with it right?

Hope this makes sense and you guys can help!

Thanks
-G

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I don't get the Ci part of the question either, at least not from the info you've posted. It sounds like it should be the input cable capacitance of 10x100pF, but so what. If they don't give you the output impedance of whatever is driving into this amplifier, then there's not much you can do with Ri and Ci.

I didn't check your math on the rest, but it looks reasonable. BTW, it's good practice to put your answers for component values into engineering notation (exponents are powers of 3), and use the standard prefixes for those powers. Like your answer of C2 = 3.4E-10F should be written as C2 = 0.34nF = 3400pF.

Oh ok. This unit is part of my physics major so forgive my engineering ignorance :P

1. What is a band pass filter?

A band pass filter is an electronic circuit designed to allow a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating all other frequencies. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

2. How does a band pass filter work?

A band pass filter works by combining a low pass filter and a high pass filter. The low pass filter attenuates frequencies below a certain cutoff point, while the high pass filter attenuates frequencies above a certain cutoff point. Together, they create a passband in which only a specific range of frequencies are allowed to pass through.

3. What is the purpose of using an op-amp in a band pass filter?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is used in a band pass filter to amplify the signal and provide gain. It also provides impedance matching between the input and output of the filter, allowing for better signal transfer.

4. How do you calculate the center frequency of a band pass filter?

The center frequency of a band pass filter can be calculated using the formula: ƒc = √(ƒ1 * ƒ2), where ƒ1 and ƒ2 are the cutoff frequencies of the low pass and high pass filters, respectively. This formula gives the geometric mean of the two cutoff frequencies.

5. Can a band pass filter and op-amp problem be solved using a simulation software?

Yes, there are various simulation software programs available that can be used to design and analyze band pass filters and op-amp circuits. These software programs allow for testing and optimization of the circuit before actual implementation, saving time and resources.