Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bank and Information Security

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    The other day I learned that my bank canceled my debit card. After talking to several people on the phone I was able to find out rather little about what happened. Apparently some merchant or investigative agency contacted my bank to tell them that my card information may have been compromised. That's it. Nothing else. I expressed a desire to find out who contacted them and/or why it had been believed my card information was compromised and I was told they did not have that information. I asked whom I could contact to find out these things and was told they hadn't any numbers for anyone I could call. The answer to all of my questions seemed to be a simple "no" I will never under any circumstances be able to find out anything at all from anyone about what happened.

Its pretty damn frustrating to find out that somewhere out there someone may have appropriated my personal information and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. Certainly my card was canceled and so I have no worries on that score but I have no idea what other information of mine may have been taken. I can't even avoid doing business with whom ever it is that may have been responsible.

Funny though that right about the same time my bank started agressively advertising their new Premium Consumer Protection Racket... er I mean Service.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you followed up, by talking to bank managers, on up to VPs. If they have evidence that your debit card was compromised, it is a no-brainer the compromisee have access to the same information (i.e. merchant or agency that reported it). Rattle their cages!! :grumpy:

If they still ignore you, sounds like a good time to change banks.

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or, (much more effective), change branch. Banks don't care much these days about losing customers, (they're much more focussed on new business), but if a branch manager sees that someone wants to change branch, questions start to be asked and you might just get some customer care.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    Your bank might of used this company to route payments.

http://www.h-online.com/security/Over-100-million-credit-debit-cards-compromised--/news/112452 [Broken]

Or any one of the new information breaches that I have heard of in the past month. When you signed up for your card, one of the agreements was that...you do not own your card, they do. If its a on going investigation, they can't tell you anything anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 21, 2009 #5
    @ TheStatApe: That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.
    I understand the frustration, having seen just last night that $1500 left my account and I didn't spend it.
    I second the suggestion to follow up with as many people as possible. You really need to know what information was compromised to take effective action: was it only your debit card number and pin or was your account number stolen too? Is there any chance that they now know your credit identity? I hope not. :-(

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You won't be able to find out who has taken your card details, since there will be pending court cases between the bank and the company/individual involved in order for them to recover money that may have been stolen from other accounts.

This situation is annoying, especially if they don't tell you whether it's just your card that's been compromised. It happened to me a while ago when I was on holiday: I went to use my card in an ATM and it didn't work, so I had to call back home to my bank and they advised it'd "been held" due to suspcious activity. I then had to have my card cancelled.. whilst I was abroad. Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased!

8. Feb 25, 2009 #7
    I've not had the opportunity yet to harass more bank people but I'm considering it and seeing if I can find a bank that will give me more information in such a situation.
    a friend of mine said she had a similar issue. apparently her particular bank has some sort of system that monitors transaction patterns and raises a red flag if there are a series of transactions it finds suspicious. perhaps your bank does the same and found your out of country transactions to be suspicious. you may want to check so you can let them know if you plan to be abroad again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook