Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bank Director: What did he do?

1. He committed suicide

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. He took the money and fled the country

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    What do you think? Did he take the money and run? Or did he commit suicide?

http://www.komonews.com/news/nation...f-stealing-millions-disappears-162063895.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    I don't think a sincere suicide committer would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Couldn't have said it better.

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    I could have. "Suicide committer" is an awkward construction.

6. Jul 11, 2012 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

While the second sentence is certainly true, it doesn't follow from the first...

7. Jul 11, 2012 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Just follow the money

8. Jul 11, 2012 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I always thought second sentences followed the first.

Zooby, try 'suicide victim'. What I want to know is, did the 17 million dollars also commit suicide?

9. Jul 11, 2012 #8
    WAY too PC.

This is better:

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found."

though it's a tad gratuitously alliterative.

10. Jul 12, 2012 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

I would also replace "the kind of" with "a". :biggrin:

11. Jul 12, 2012 #10
    Hmmm...yes!

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged a suicide where no body is found."

12. Jul 12, 2012 #11
    I am also insanely curious as to the mental state of the wife. Is she distraught over the "loss" of her husband? Is she angry? If she is angry, could it be because he left her? Did he have a life insurance policy that covers suicide? Does she seem rather uncaring about the event?

There is so much that is suspect in that article, and I am sure the police have not given all the details they have to the public.

I hope they find him.

13. Jul 12, 2012 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Could she be covering for him?

I thought this was very suspicious:
    how would they have any idea?

14. Jul 12, 2012 #13

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's too long now :wink:

"Suicidal people rarely arrange a suicide where no body is found."

15. Jul 12, 2012 #14

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find that suspicious as well, especially since most families of missing persons hold out hope that their loved one will turn up unharmed.

16. Jul 12, 2012 #15
    This is a bald assertion, though. You're vulnerable to having to dig up a link, or links, to back it up if challenged. Phrased as an opinion the only assertion you're making is that it's your impression a suicidal person wouldn't act a certain way. You're not claiming to have any expertise or definite knowledge.

17. Jul 12, 2012 #16
    I also picked up on the line that his family believed him to be dead.

The other quotes I found very suspect:

If there were financial reasons behind the move to Georgia, why not sell the real estate in Venezuela?

Also, the precious word MAY. Price MAY also own a boat? Big enough to travel to Venezuela? Really? How is you MAY own a boat that big? :rolleyes:

18. Jul 12, 2012 #17
    Funniest thread I read today was about suicide.

19. Jul 12, 2012 #18
    This is the line where I put my first red flag:

It's seems such a blatant attempt to lead the readers of the note to perceive it as disorganized, as the product of suicidal mentation.

Normally one writes first, and only later discovers their writing seems disjointed when they re-read it. We'd expect an apology at the end, not the beginning. While it's true he might have tried unsuccessfully to organize his thoughts before writing, it smells more like he was rationally attempting to seem disorganized.

20. Jul 13, 2012 #19
    Heh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods

(bold mine)

Nice try, dude! Hope the feds find your little hidey hole and deport you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook