Bank Director: What did he do?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
In summary: Price apologizes at the beginning of the confession for its "lack of structure, grammar and harmony of thought."This seems like a red flag to me. What kind of person apologizes for their writing?

What do you think he did?

• He committed suicide

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • He took the money and fled the country

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
Ms Music
What do you think? Did he take the money and run? Or did he commit suicide?

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Bank-director-Aubrey-Lee-Price-accused-of-stealing-millions-disappears-162063895.html

ATLANTA (AP) - After penning a rambling confession to financial regulators and writing notes to his family, a south Georgia bank director boarded a ferry in Key West, Fla., and disappeared.

Now local and federal investigators are trying to determine whether Aubrey Lee Price killed himself, as his lengthy confession would have them believe, or whether he slipped away with $17 million of investors' money. His family has told authorities they believe he's dead, but federal investigators aren't so sure and have offered $20,000 for information leading to his arrest.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think a sincere suicide committer would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think a sincere suicide committer would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found.

Couldn't have said it better.

DaveC426913 said:
Couldn't have said it better.
I could have. "Suicide committer" is an awkward construction.

zoobyshoe said:
I could have. "Suicide committer" is an awkward construction.
While the second sentence is certainly true, it doesn't follow from the first...

I always thought second sentences followed the first.

Zooby, try 'suicide victim'. What I want to know is, did the 17 million dollars also commit suicide?

chemisttree said:
Zooby, try 'suicide victim'.
WAY too PC.

This is better:

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found."

though it's a tad gratuitously alliterative.

zoobyshoe said:
WAY too PC.

This is better:

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged the kind of suicide where no body is found."

though it's a tad gratuitously alliterative.

I would also replace "the kind of" with "a". :biggrin:

Dembadon said:
I would also replace "the kind of" with "a". :biggrin:
Hmmm...yes!

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged a suicide where no body is found."

I am also insanely curious as to the mental state of the wife. Is she distraught over the "loss" of her husband? Is she angry? If she is angry, could it be because he left her? Did he have a life insurance policy that covers suicide? Does she seem rather uncaring about the event?

There is so much that is suspect in that article, and I am sure the police have not given all the details they have to the public.

I hope they find him.

Ms Music said:
I am also insanely curious as to the mental state of the wife. Is she distraught over the "loss" of her husband? Is she angry? If she is angry, could it be because he left her? Did he have a life insurance policy that covers suicide? Does she seem rather uncaring about the event?
Could she be covering for him?

I thought this was very suspicious:
His family has told authorities they believe he's dead...
how would they have any idea?

zoobyshoe said:
Hmmm...yes!

"I don't think a sincerely suicidal person would have so neatly arranged a suicide where no body is found."

It's too long now :wink:

"Suicidal people rarely arrange a suicide where no body is found."

DaveC426913 said:
I thought this was very suspicious:

I find that suspicious as well, especially since most families of missing persons hold out hope that their loved one will turn up unharmed.

Mech_Engineer said:
It's too long now :wink:

"Suicidal people rarely arrange a suicide where no body is found."
This is a bald assertion, though. You're vulnerable to having to dig up a link, or links, to back it up if challenged. Phrased as an opinion the only assertion you're making is that it's your impression a suicidal person wouldn't act a certain way. You're not claiming to have any expertise or definite knowledge.

I also picked up on the line that his family believed him to be dead.

The other quotes I found very suspect:

Price has said he owns real estate in Venezuela and frequently went there and to Guatemala.

Price may also own a boat that's big enough to travel from Florida to Venezuela, the investigator said.

Price had moved his family to the south Georgia city, where his wife's parents live, just a few weeks before he disappeared. There were financial reasons behind the move,

If there were financial reasons behind the move to Georgia, why not sell the real estate in Venezuela?

Also, the precious word MAY. Price MAY also own a boat? Big enough to travel to Venezuela? Really? How is you MAY own a boat that big? :rolleyes:

Funniest thread I read today was about suicide.

This is the line where I put my first red flag:

Price apologizes at the beginning of the confession for its "lack of structure, grammar and harmony of thought."

It's seems such a blatant attempt to lead the readers of the note to perceive it as disorganized, as the product of suicidal mentation.

Normally one writes first, and only later discovers their writing seems disjointed when they re-read it. We'd expect an apology at the end, not the beginning. While it's true he might have tried unsuccessfully to organize his thoughts before writing, it smells more like he was rationally attempting to seem disorganized.

Heh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods

Drowning

Suicide by drowning is the act of deliberately submerging oneself in water or other liquid to prevent breathing and deprive the brain of oxygen. Due to the body's natural tendency to come up for air, drowning attempts often involve the use of a heavy object to overcome this reflex. As the level of carbon dioxide in the victim's blood rises, the central nervous system sends the respiratory muscles an involuntary signal to contract, and the person breathes in water. Death usually occurs as the level of oxygen becomes too low to sustain the brain cells. It is among the least common methods of suicide, typically accounting for less than 2% of all reported suicides in the United States.

(bold mine)

Nice try, dude! Hope the feds find your little hidey hole and deport you!

1. What is the role of a bank director?

A bank director is responsible for overseeing the operations and financial performance of a bank. They are also responsible for making strategic decisions and setting policies to ensure the bank's success.

2. How is a bank director different from a bank manager?

A bank director holds a higher position and has more influence over the overall direction of the bank, while a bank manager is usually responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of specific departments within the bank.

3. What qualifications are required to become a bank director?

Typically, a bank director is required to have a strong background in finance, business, or economics. They may also have prior experience in banking or financial management roles.

4. What are the main duties of a bank director?

The main duties of a bank director include setting strategic goals and objectives for the bank, monitoring financial performance, overseeing risk management, and ensuring compliance with regulations and laws.

5. How does a bank director make decisions?

A bank director makes decisions by analyzing financial data, consulting with other bank executives, and considering the potential impact of their decisions on the bank's overall performance and goals.