Can you fully recover from a Bankart lesion?

• Thread starter tom smith
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether they can fully recover from a Bankart lesion, which they sustained while playing rugby at the age of 16. They are unsure if surgery to repair the lesion will allow them to continue their rugby career without dislocations. They plan to see a doctor for further guidance.
tom smith
hey guys I am just wondering if you can fully recover from a bankart leison. i tore my labrum during rugby last year and I am 16 years old at the moment. i really want to continue my rugby career but i can't as it dislocates all the time so do you think if i get surgery to repair it i will be back to normal or not? I am really confused about it all and I am also seeing my doc soon, but let me know if any of you guys had a full recovery from this type of problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Please see a doctor, we cannot diagnose you or give you advice.

FAQ: Can you fully recover from a Bankart lesion?

1. Can a Bankart lesion heal on its own?

It is unlikely for a Bankart lesion to heal on its own. This type of injury usually requires medical intervention to fully recover.

2. What is the recovery time for a Bankart lesion?

The recovery time for a Bankart lesion varies depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's overall health. However, it typically takes 4-6 months for a full recovery.

3. Do I need surgery for a Bankart lesion?

Surgery is usually recommended for a Bankart lesion, especially if the individual is young and active. Non-surgical treatment may be an option for older individuals or those with less severe injuries.

4. What type of physical therapy is recommended for a Bankart lesion?

Physical therapy is an essential part of the recovery process for a Bankart lesion. It usually consists of exercises to improve range of motion, strengthen the shoulder muscles, and improve overall shoulder function.

5. Will I fully regain my shoulder strength after recovering from a Bankart lesion?

With proper treatment and rehabilitation, most individuals can fully regain their shoulder strength after recovering from a Bankart lesion. However, it may take several months of consistent physical therapy and exercises to achieve this.