Bar magnet determining north pole

In summary, you could determine the polarity of a magnet by passing current through a solenoid and feeling the direction of the resulting magnetic field.
Flyx
I came across this problem:

Explain how you would determine which was the north pole of a bar magnet, without using any other magnet.

I was thinking of using a solenoid, and dropping the magnet in. Then you can determine whether it was a north or south pole by whether the current flows clockwise or anticlockwise. I was thinking that one of these would produce a negative current, but I am not sure which. Is there any way to do this?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it just be a matter of hanging the magnet from a string?

OrangeDog said:
Wouldn't it just be a matter of hanging the magnet from a string?

That won't work if the magnet isn't strong enough.

Well if there are no restrictions on the magnet strength then it is a solution!

Just float it in water...

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/images/blog/water-compass400.jpg
water-compass400.jpg

Likes davenn, Nidum and Flyx
Does the Earth count as another magnet?

berkeman said:
Just float it in water

What if it is a horse-shoe magnet?

CWatters said:
Does the Earth count as another magnet?

No

Flyx said:
No

In the end all you are trying to do is create a moment to rotate the magnet, so again, if you have both poles facing the ground there will still be a torque trying to rotate the magnet...from a string!

Likes Flyx
Flyx said:
You will still get a small torque that will align the magnet. There is an easy trick to make the torque for a horseshoe magnet much larger in the Earth's magnetic field. Can you think what that trick might be? :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
berkeman said:
You will still get a small torque that will align the magnet. There is an easy trick to make the torque for a horseshoe magnet much larger in the Earth's magnetic field. Can you think what that trick might be? :smile:

Vacuum?

What if you were on a planet with no magnetic field?

Flyx said:
Vacuum?
Water is pretty frictionless for slow movements. No, I had a different improvement in mind... :smile:
Flyx said:
What if you were on a planet with no magnetic field?
Then you would need to wave one pole of the magnet past a coil of wire and measure the polarity of the voltage induced in the coil. Have you read about magnetic induction yet in your studies? :smile:

Likes cnh1995
Flyx said:
I was thinking of using a solenoid, and dropping the magnet in.
The solenoid will have induced current and hence, it will momentarily act as another magnet (electromagnet). What if you passed current through the solenoid using a battery and brought the magnet near its axis?

Last edited:
Suspend the magnet horizontally using a thread. Connect a metre or so of wire from the + to - of a 1.5 volt battery. Hold the magnet closely over the wire. It will point according to the direction of the current using the Cork Screw Rule.

berkeman said:
Then you would need to wave one pole of the magnet past a coil of wire and measure the polarity of the voltage induced in the coil. Have you read about magnetic induction yet in your studies? :smile:

We're doing that. Would the north pole make a positive current or a negative current first?

cnh1995 said:
The solenoid will have induced current and hence, it will momentarily act as another magnet (electromagnet). What if you passed current through the solenoid using a battery and brought the magnet near its axis?

I don't know

tech99 said:
Suspend the magnet horizontally using a thread. Connect a metre or so of wire from the + to - of a 1.5 volt battery. Hold the magnet closely over the wire. It will point according to the direction of the current using the Cork Screw Rule.

Flyx said:
I don't know
cnh1995 said:
What if you passed current through the solenoid using a battery and brought the magnet near its axis?
The solenoid will become an electromagnet. Using the direction of current, you can determine the poles of the electromagnet. Then take the magnet near its axis. You will feel either attraction or repulsion, from which you could tell the polarity of the magnet.

Likes Flyx
cnh1995 said:
The solenoid will become an electromagnet. Using the direction of current, you can determine the poles of the electromagnet. Then take the magnet near its axis. You will feel either attraction or repulsion, from which you could tell the polarity of the magnet.

That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering which direction the current would flow.

Flyx said:
That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering which direction the current would flow.
Current direction will be simply from +ve terminal to the -ve terminal of the battery(conventional current,of course).

cnh1995 said:
Current direction will be simply from +ve terminal to the -ve terminal of the battery(conventional current,of course).

1. How does a bar magnet determine the north pole?

A bar magnet determines the north pole based on its magnetic properties. The north pole of a bar magnet is attracted to the south pole of another magnet, while the north poles of two magnets repel each other. This allows the bar magnet to align itself with the Earth's magnetic field, with its north pole pointing towards the Earth's geographic north pole.

2. How can I tell if a bar magnet is pointing towards the north pole?

To determine the north pole of a bar magnet, you can use a compass. Place the compass near the bar magnet and observe the direction in which the compass needle points. The end of the compass needle that is pointing towards the bar magnet's north pole is the north pole of the bar magnet.

3. Can a bar magnet be used to determine the direction of the Earth's magnetic field?

Yes, a bar magnet can be used to determine the direction of the Earth's magnetic field. By observing which direction the bar magnet aligns itself with, you can determine the direction of the Earth's magnetic field. This is because the north pole of a bar magnet points towards the Earth's geographic north pole, and the south pole points towards the geographic south pole.

4. How does the strength of a bar magnet affect its ability to determine the north pole?

The strength of a bar magnet does not affect its ability to determine the north pole. A weak bar magnet will still align itself with the Earth's magnetic field, with its north pole pointing towards the Earth's geographic north pole. However, a stronger bar magnet may have a stronger magnetic force, making it easier to determine the north pole using a compass.

5. Can a bar magnet lose its ability to determine the north pole over time?

No, a bar magnet does not lose its ability to determine the north pole over time. The magnetic properties of a bar magnet are permanent and will remain the same unless it is exposed to extreme temperatures or strong magnetic fields. However, over time, the strength of a bar magnet may decrease due to normal wear and tear.