Barrycentric coordinates for a polytope

• Thread starter salman7866
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, Barrycentric coordinates are a set of barycentric coordinates used to describe the position of a point within a polytope. They are calculated by expressing the point as a linear combination of the vertices of the polytope. These coordinates have many advantages, including their usefulness in studying and analyzing polytopes, as well as their applications in computer graphics and design. They can be used for any type of polytope, but are most commonly used for convex polytopes. While not unique, there is a unique set of coordinates for a given point under certain conditions.
salman7866
For the past few weeks, I have been searching about this topic: Suppose we are given a convex polytope having vertices say \begin{equation} A_1, A_2,...,A_n \end{equation} where each \begin{equation}A_i, i=1,...,n \end{equation} represent a matrix - In fact its a convex polytope whose vertices are matrices. How can we verify if a given a matrix say \begin{equation} A_t \end{equation} can be written as a convex combination of the vertices.

To elaborate more: I am constructing this polytope to encompass a time-varying matrix; say denoted by A(t) where the variable "t" is varying between some upper and lower bounds t_{min} and t_{max}. Using these bounds of t, I find vertices for a polytope denoted by \begin{equation}A_1,...,A_n \end{equation}. Now how do I prove that given A(t) where \begin{equation}t_min \leq t \leq t_max \end{equation} can be written as convex combination of the vertices \begin{equation}A_1,...,A_n \end{equation}. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and interest in this topic. I would like to provide some insight and suggestions on how you can approach this problem.

First, it is important to understand the concept of convex combinations. A convex combination is a linear combination of points where the coefficients are non-negative and sum up to 1. In other words, it is a weighted average of points within a convex set.

Now, let's consider your scenario where you have a time-varying matrix A(t) and a set of vertices A_1, A_2,...,A_n. In order to prove that A(t) can be written as a convex combination of the vertices, you need to show that there exist non-negative coefficients c_1, c_2,...,c_n such that c_1A_1 + c_2A_2 +...+ c_nA_n = A(t) and c_1 + c_2 +...+ c_n = 1.

One approach to verify this is to use the concept of linear independence. If the vertices A_1, A_2,...,A_n are linearly independent, then there exists a unique solution for the coefficients c_1, c_2,...,c_n. In this case, you can solve for the coefficients using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion.

However, if the vertices are not linearly independent, then there may be multiple solutions for the coefficients. In this case, you can use optimization techniques to find the coefficients that minimize a certain objective function, such as the sum of squared errors between A(t) and the convex combination of the vertices.

Another approach is to use the concept of extreme points. In a convex set, extreme points are the points that cannot be expressed as a convex combination of other points in the set. If your vertices A_1, A_2,...,A_n are extreme points, then A(t) can be written as a convex combination of the vertices.

In summary, to prove that A(t) can be written as a convex combination of the vertices A_1, A_2,...,A_n, you can use techniques such as linear independence, optimization, or extreme points. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

FAQ: Barrycentric coordinates for a polytope

1. What are Barrycentric coordinates for a polytope?

Barrycentric coordinates are a set of barycentric coordinates used to describe the position of a point within a polytope (a geometric object with straight edges and flat faces). They are named after mathematician Barry Johnson and are a generalization of the concept of barycentric coordinates in Euclidean geometry.

2. How are Barrycentric coordinates calculated?

To calculate Barrycentric coordinates for a given point within a polytope, the point is first expressed as a linear combination of the vertices of the polytope. The coefficients of this linear combination are the Barrycentric coordinates of the point.

3. What are the advantages of using Barrycentric coordinates?

Barrycentric coordinates are useful for studying and analyzing polytopes, as they provide a way to describe the position of a point within a polytope in a concise and geometrically meaningful way. They are also used in computer graphics and computer-aided design for tasks such as interpolation and surface parameterization.

4. Can Barrycentric coordinates be used for any type of polytope?

Yes, Barrycentric coordinates can be used for any type of polytope, including convex and non-convex polytopes. However, they are most commonly used for convex polytopes due to their simpler geometric properties.

5. Are Barrycentric coordinates unique?

No, Barrycentric coordinates are not unique. A point within a polytope can have different sets of Barrycentric coordinates depending on the choice of vertices used to represent it. However, there is a unique set of Barrycentric coordinates for a given point if certain conditions are met, such as the polytope being simplicial (having only triangular faces).