Base excited stacked mass spring damper systems

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equations of motion, state space, and transfer function for a system with two stacked mass spring damper systems that is base excited. The homework equations involve the sum of forces and the transfer function is defined as H(s)=X(s)/U(s). The person also mentions considering energy methods and thanks in advance for any help. The response is that the equations look correct and can be solved using differential equation methods, but there may be limited knowledge on state space techniques. The person also mentions taking a course on state space but not finding it useful.
QuantumLollipop

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the equations of motion and state space as well as the transfer function for a system which has two mass spring damper systems stacked on top of each other. The system is base excited. I attached a pic of the system
stacked mass spring damper.png

Homework Equations

- Sum of the forces as per usual
- The transfer function is defined as H(s)=X(s)/U(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-6-25_13-21-29.png
[/B]
And setting up for state space:
upload_2015-6-25_13-22-2.png

I've also been thinking this might be easier in terms of energy methods. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look right. You can solve by the usual diff. eq. methods.

There is probably limited knowledge base on this forum for state space. I took an entire course in state space techniques (my instructor, Prof. S. C. Gupta, had us check his answers in the textbook he was preparing; maybe you know it) but I have to say I never found the technique useful to me so forgot all about it.)

1. What is a base excited stacked mass spring damper system?

A base excited stacked mass spring damper system is a type of mechanical system that consists of multiple masses, springs, and dampers stacked on top of each other and connected to a base. This system is typically used to model and study the dynamic behavior of structures subjected to external forces, such as earthquakes or wind loads.

2. How does a base excited stacked mass spring damper system work?

The system works by distributing the external forces applied to the base among the stacked masses, springs, and dampers. The masses and springs store and release energy, while the dampers dissipate energy, resulting in a response that is less severe than if the structure was rigid.

3. What are the advantages of using a base excited stacked mass spring damper system?

One advantage is that it allows for the study and analysis of dynamic behavior of structures under different external forces. It also provides a more realistic representation of how structures respond to these forces compared to rigid models. Additionally, the system can be easily adjusted and modified to simulate various structural configurations.

4. What factors affect the response of a base excited stacked mass spring damper system?

The response of the system is influenced by several factors, including the characteristics of the masses, springs, and dampers, as well as the magnitude and frequency of the external forces. The stiffness and damping coefficients of the springs and dampers also play a significant role in determining the system's response.

5. How is a base excited stacked mass spring damper system used in engineering and research?

This system is commonly used in earthquake engineering to study the behavior of structures under seismic forces. It is also used in the development and testing of structural control systems, such as tuned mass dampers, which can mitigate the effects of external forces on a structure. Additionally, it is used in research to understand and improve the design and performance of structures subjected to dynamic loads.