Basel problem, primes and π²/6

• I
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between two different formulas that both yield the value of π²/6. The two formulas are actually equivalent and can be derived from each other. However, none of these formulas can be considered independent as they are both describing the same calculation.
Borek
Mentor
Bear with me, I know nothing.

Eons ego @micromass told me about this beautiful formula:

[tex]\frac {\pi^2} 6 = \prod\limits_{P}\left( 1-\frac 1 {p^2}\right) ^{-1}[/tex]

where p are primes. Just a few minutes ago I have learned about the Basel problem and its solution:

[tex]\sum \limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2} = \frac {\pi^2} 6 [/tex]

What struck me was that it is the same π²/6 in both cases.

Somehow I feel like it can be actually the same formula - just the one based on prime numbers takes into account fact that repetitions of prime factors cancel out when we try to sum the fractions finding the common denominator. Am I right, or am I completely off, as usual?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here comes a follow up question:

At first sight both formulas listed in my first post look differently, but it turns out it is actually the same thing. There are many formulas allowing calculation of π - or some value related to π. Do we know anything about how many of them are independent?

Borek said:
Here comes a follow up question:

At first sight both formulas listed in my first post look differently, but it turns out it is actually the same thing. There are many formulas allowing calculation of π - or some value related to π. Do we know anything about how many of them are independent?

What do you mean with independent? In a strict sense, none of the formulas are independent in the sense that we can accept one formula as the definition of ##\pi## and derive all other formulas from it.

Likes mfb
Good point, perhaps my thinking is flawed somehow.

In the above case we don't need to know that both formulas produce the same result to prove they are equivalent. It is enough to rearrange them, so they are both describing exactly the same calculation. In this sense I don't consider them to be independent.

Actually we started with stating "it is the same formula" (it can be obtained just by rearranging). So what if by "independent" I mean "not the same"?

1. What is the Basel problem?

The Basel problem, also known as the Basel summation problem, is a mathematical problem that asks for the exact value of the infinite sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers.

2. What is the significance of the Basel problem?

The significance of the Basel problem lies in its connection to the value of π²/6, a fundamental constant in mathematics. The solution to the Basel problem provides a way to calculate this constant, which has many applications in mathematics and science.

3. How was the Basel problem solved?

The Basel problem was solved by the famous mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1735. He used a clever approach involving complex numbers and infinite series to prove that the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers is equal to π²/6.

4. What is the relationship between the Basel problem and primes?

The solution to the Basel problem involves a special property of prime numbers, as shown by Euler. He proved that the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers can be expressed as a product involving all prime numbers.

5. Are there any other unsolved problems related to the Basel problem?

Yes, there are still many unsolved problems related to the Basel problem. For example, the generalization of the Basel problem for other powers, such as the sum of the reciprocals of the cubes or fourth powers, is still an open problem in mathematics.