Basic Definite Integration, area under the curve

In summary, the integrals \int^{16}_0 (\sqrt{x} - 1)\,dx, \int^4_1 \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx, and \int^6_2 \frac{4}{x^3}\,dx were evaluated to be 80/3, 4, and 4/9 square units, respectively. The first integral was incorrect in the original attempt, but was corrected to 80/3 by applying the limits again.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

A:
[tex]
\int^{16}_0 (\sqrt{x} - 1)\,dx
[/tex]

B:
[tex]
\int^4_1 \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx
[/tex]

C:
[tex]
\int^6_2 \frac{4}{x^3}\,dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part C which I think I have done wrong, but the others could be too.

Part A:
[tex]
\int^{16}_0 (\sqrt{x} - 1)\,dx = \int^{16}_0 (x^{\frac{1}{2}}-1)\,dx = [\frac{2}{3}x^{1.5}-1x]^{16}_0 = [112]-[0] = 112 \,sq\, units
[/tex]

Part B:
[tex]
\int^4_1 \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx = \int^4_1 2x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dx = [4x^{\frac{1}{2}}]^4_1 = [8] - [4] = 4 \,sq\, units
[/tex]

C:
[tex]
\int^6_2 \frac{4}{x^3}\,dx = \int^6_2 4x^{-3}\,dx = [-2x^{-2}]^6_2 = [-\frac{1}{18}] - [-\frac{1}{2}] = 0.44 \,sq\, units
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

A:
[tex]
\int^{16}_0 (\sqrt{x} - 1)\,dx
[/tex]

B:
[tex]
\int^4_1 \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx
[/tex]

C:
[tex]
\int^6_2 \frac{4}{x^3}\,dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part C which I think I have done wrong, but the others could be too.

Part A:
[tex]
\int^{16}_0 (\sqrt{x} - 1)\,dx = \int^{16}_0 (x^{\frac{1}{2}}-1)\,dx = [\frac{2}{3}x^{1.5}-1x]^{16}_0 = [112]-[0] = 112 sq units
[/tex]

Part B:
[tex]
\int^4_1 \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx = \int^4_1 2x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dx = [4x^{\frac{1}{2}}]^4_1 = [8] - [4] = 4 sq units
[/tex]

C:
[tex]
\int^6_2 \frac{4}{x^3}\,dx = \int^6_2 4x^{-3}\,dx = [-2x^{-2}]^6_2 = [-\frac{1}{18}] - [-\frac{1}{2}] = 0.44 sq units
[/tex]

first is incorrect - others are fine (assuming you mean 4/9 for the third).

apply the limits again

synkk said:
first is incorrect - others are fine (assuming you mean 4/9 for the third).

apply the limits again

Ah yeah, don't know what i was thinking there!

Should it be...
[tex]
[\frac{80}{3}]-[0] = \frac{80}{3} sq\,units
[/tex]

And yeah 4/9 is what I meant its just the way it came out on my calc I couldn't work out what fraction produced that recurring decimal :)

Thanks for your help.

1. What is Basic Definite Integration?

Basic Definite Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve by dividing the area into smaller sections and adding them together. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is Basic Definite Integration different from Basic Indefinite Integration?

Basic Definite Integration involves finding a specific numerical value for the area under a curve, while Basic Indefinite Integration involves finding a function whose derivative is the original function. In other words, Basic Definite Integration gives a single value, while Basic Indefinite Integration gives a family of possible solutions.

3. What is the relationship between the integral and the derivative?

The integral and the derivative are inverse operations. The derivative of a function gives the rate of change of that function, while the integral gives the total change of the function over a given interval. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of an integral is the original function, and the integral of a derivative is the original function plus a constant.

4. How is the area under a curve approximated using Basic Definite Integration?

The area under a curve can be approximated by dividing the curve into smaller sections, finding the area of each section using basic geometry, and then adding them together. As the number of sections increases, the approximation becomes more accurate, and in the limit, we get the exact area under the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of Basic Definite Integration?

Basic Definite Integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the distance traveled by a moving object, and the average value of a function over a given interval. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the area under a probability distribution curve.