What Does 'me' Represent in This Physics Formula?

In summary, Bob S is seeking clarification on the formula (me^4 / 8e0^2 h^2 ) x 1/ n^2, specifically the meaning of "me" and "e0". Another user suggests substituting α = e2/4 pi ε0 h c, where α is the fine structure constant. However, Bob S notes that the "h" in the formula should be "hbar" instead.
musraupp@mac.
For some unknown reason, my 6 kilogram physics textbook doesn't explain the formula:

(me^4 / 8e0^2 h^2 ) x 1/ n^2

Where n is the state number.
Im just wondering what the me is, it is not m(subscript e) but just me both lowercase, e0 is greek epsilon subscript zero.. Could someone help me out, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
it's m times e^4, where m is electron mass and e is electron charge.

thankyou!

Substitute α = e2/4 pi ε0 h c

where α = 1/137 = fine structure constant

Bob S

Bob S said:
Substitute α = e2/4 pi ε0 h c

where α = 1/137 = fine structure constant

Bob S

h should be hbar in here.

You're right. My hbar key isn't working. It would be nice to have hbar in the copy and paste thread:https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of the 'me' in physics formulas?

The 'me' in physics formulas typically represents the mass of an object or particle. It is a variable that is used to calculate the momentum, energy, and other properties of a system.

2. How is the 'me' in physics formulas different from 'm'?

The 'me' is specifically used to represent the mass of an object or particle, while 'm' can represent any variable in a formula. 'me' is also used in certain formulas, such as the relativistic mass equation, to account for the mass of a moving object.

3. Can the 'me' in physics formulas be negative?

No, the 'me' in physics formulas cannot be negative. Mass is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it cannot have a negative value.

4. Is the 'me' in physics formulas always constant?

No, the 'me' in physics formulas can vary depending on the system or experiment being studied. For example, the mass of an object can change if it is heated or if matter is added or removed from it.

5. How do I calculate the 'me' in physics formulas?

The 'me' in physics formulas can be calculated by measuring the mass of an object or particle using a scale or other measuring device. It can also be calculated indirectly by using other known values in a formula, such as velocity and momentum.