Therefore, the maximum area of the triangle is 1/2.

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the greatest possible area of a triangle with one vertex at the center of a circle with a radius of 1 and the other two vertices on the circumference. The participants suggest using a 90-degree angle, but it is pointed out that the circle's area is actually pi. They then discuss using Heron's formula and taking the derivative to find the maximum area, which is found to be 1/2. Finally, they mention separating the triangle into two orthogonal triangles to solve for the maximum area, which is found to be 1/2 as well.
PsychonautQQ
What is the greatest possible area of a triangle that has one vertex at the center of a circle with radius 1 and the other 2 vertices on the circumference of the circle? Can anyone give me some insight into this?

I was thinking maybe make the center angel 90 degree's? If so my circle would have an area of 1 I believe. Is this the maximum area?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Uh ... you really think a unit circle has an area of 1? You might want to rethink that.

Figure out what the area of a unit circle is. If your central angle is 90 degrees, don't you reckon the area of that pie-segment would be 1/4 of the area of the circle and the area of the triangle would be fairly close to that amount?

How you write an equation for the area of the triangle should be easy but I don't know how you solve it for maximum.

PsychonautQQ said:
What is the greatest possible area of a triangle that has one vertex at the center of a circle with radius 1 and the other 2 vertices on the circumference of the circle? Can anyone give me some insight into this?

I was thinking maybe make the center angel 90 degree's? If so my circle would have an area of 1 I believe. Is this the maximum area?
No, the circle's area is ##\pi##. Your goal is to find the area of an inscribed triangle. If the angle (not "angel" which is something different) at the center of the circle is 90°, then the area of the triangle is 1/2 (isosceles right triangle with legs of length 1). What's to prevent that central angle from being larger than 90°? Can you write an equation that gives the area of a triangle with one vertex at the center of the circle, another at the point (1, 0), and the third at an arbitrary point on the circle?

PsychonautQQ said:
Although (as others pointed out), the circle's area is ##\pi##, your answer is correct.
Mark44 said:
Can you write an equation that gives the area of a triangle with one vertex at the center of the circle, another at the point (1, 0), and the third at an arbitrary point on the circle?
Since we already know that the other side also has length 1, I think it would be easier to plug in ##a=1,\ b=1## in Heron's formula.
phinds said:
How you write an equation for the area of the triangle should be easy but I don't know how you solve it for maximum.
Simple, take the derivative of the function describing the area, and let it equal 0 :-)

certainly said:
Simple, take the derivative of the function describing the area, and let it equal 0 :-)
DOH ! (Although that could also give you a minimum, depending on what the function looks like ... I don't think it would do that in this particular case).

phinds said:
DOH ! (Although that could also give you a minimum, depending on what the function looks like ... I don't think it would do that in this particular case).
It does. In the end you solve for ##a^2## (where ##a## is the third side). Maximum is ##+x##, minimum is ##-x##.

For one vertex on the centre of circle, you are right:
Separate the triangle to two orthogonal triangles with vertical lines x and y, so x2+y2=1.
The total triangle area is:
$$ E = xy = x\sqrt{1-x^2} \Rightarrow \frac{dE}{dx} = \sqrt{1-x^2} - \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = 0 \Rightarrow x=y=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \Rightarrow $$
$$ \tan(\theta/2) = \frac{y}{x} = 1 \Rightarrow \theta=\pi/2 ,\, E_{max}=\frac{1}{2} $$

What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shape, size, relative position of figures, and the properties of space.

What are the basic elements of geometry?

The basic elements of geometry include points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids. These elements are used to define and describe geometric figures.

What are the types of angles in geometry?

The types of angles in geometry include acute, right, obtuse, straight, and reflex angles. These angles are formed by two intersecting lines or by a line and a plane.

What is the difference between a line and a ray?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, while a ray is a part of a line that has one endpoint and extends infinitely in one direction. A ray has a starting point but no ending point.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem in geometry?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be written as a² + b² = c², where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.