Does Swapping the Limits of Integration Change the Integral's Sign?

In summary: It's just an interesting bit of maths that can help you understand integrals in more depth. Thanks for asking!In summary, Swapping the interval endpoints changes the sign of the integral.
JustGaussing
interval from a to b [tex]\int[/tex] f(x) dx = interval from b to a (-)[tex]\int[/tex] f(x) dx

Is this correct? Swapping the interval endpoints changes the sign of the integral? It seems like they should be equal. Thanks for the help.

By the way, I saw this property here: http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/integ/integ02/integ02.html.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi JustGaussing! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an integral : ∫ :wink:)

Yes, that's right … ∫ab f(x) dx = -∫ba f(x) dx.

Integrals add, in the sense that ∫ab f(x) dx + ∫bc f(x) dx = ∫ac f(x) dx …

now put c = a, and you get the result. :smile:

Thank you for your reply (and the integral!). I am confused by the concept of the negative integral where f(x) lies entirely above the x-axis. For example,

0pi sin(x) dx = 2

seems to make sense since this half of the sine wave is entirely above the x-axis and the area under the curve is all positive-y,

but

pi0 sin(x) dx = -2.

It's confusing since we are talking about the same curve. If you look at the graph, it's obviously still all above the x-axis.

Similarly, I would expect

2pi pi sin(x) dx

to be negative since the area of the curve is below the x-axis. But of course it's not.

Can anyone help explain this to me since it's so counter-intuitive (at least for me)? Thanks!

You have to understand that a Riemann integral, in general, does not give you the area under a curve. It might have originated from that idea, but, them mathematical abstraction takes over and generalizes things. By switching the limits of integration you change the sign of the integral as well, because order matters. Go to the definition of the integral in terms of Rieman sums (or Darboux sums) and you will see where it comes from.

if a<b and you are integrating from a to b, then when you partition the interval into n subintervals, then each length of the interval is (b-a)/n, wheras if you integrate from b to a, then it will be
(a-b)/n=-(b-a)/n<0.

Hi JustGaussing! :smile:

(I don't know whether this will make you happier, or even more confused :redface: …)

This isn't the only example in maths of area being negative …

when, for example, we measure the flux (of a force field) through a surface, we have to multiply by the area, but it is important to know which side of the surface is "positive" and which is "negative".

And the area of a parallelogram with sides a and b is a x b, which is abcosθ times a unit vector normal to the parallelogram … and obviously the area a x b is minus the area b x a.

Isn't the cross product defined as absinθ, not abcosθ?

oops! :redface:

Hey, no worries, although you probably know that already.

1. What is a basic integral identity?

A basic integral identity is a mathematical equation that relates the integral of a function to the function itself. It is used in calculus to solve for unknown variables and to find the area under a curve.

2. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a basic integral identity that states that the integral of a function from a to b is equal to the antiderivative of the function evaluated at b minus the antiderivative of the function evaluated at a.

3. How do you use basic integral identities to solve integrals?

To solve integrals using basic integral identities, you first need to identify the function you are integrating and then use the appropriate identity to simplify the integral. You can also use other techniques such as substitution and integration by parts in conjunction with basic integral identities.

4. What are some common basic integral identities?

Some common basic integral identities include the power rule, trigonometric identities, and the substitution rule. These identities are used to solve integrals involving polynomials, trigonometric functions, and other types of functions.

5. Why are basic integral identities important in science?

Basic integral identities are important in science because they allow us to solve problems involving rates of change, motion, and other variables that are continuously changing. They are also used in many other areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.